Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old is too old for Opposite sex kids to be bathing together???

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM
  • 16 Replies

When we were at my in laws house I let my daughter take a bath with her 6 year old cousin(girl) and her 3 year old cousin(boy)...I had to give my daughter bath and they all wanted to play in the bubbles together so I didn't really think anything of it....My husband about freaked out saying they're too old to be taking baths together like that, but honestly I see no problem with it at this age.

I always figured around 4 or 5 is too old but that's just me...It's not like my daughter saw anything new..I mean my best friend had a little boy who is a year younger than my daughter and she's seen my best friend change his diaper many times, so she knows all about "boy parts" and "girl parts"..So I was just wondering what everyone else thought? How old is too old for opposite sex kids to take a bath together?

Kara

Mommy to Meagan Marie

Join us on

The Preschool Group
Preschool Group Mod

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2and2onway
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM

My kids were 4(dd) and 6(ds) , but that is because at 6 my son went to taking showers and my daughter hated the shower then. My b/g twins are 2 and I bathe them together and sometimes my 8 yr dd old gets in with them.

HeidiLong07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I have girls that are 4 and 5, and I don't let them take a bath with my son even though he is only 1.  I think it is weird. 

Verarose
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

My DD was about 4 and her brother 2 when they stopped bathing together.  My DS is now 3 and his little sister 1 and they still bath together.  Both my DD will bath together, but DD#1 and DS never do anymore. 

I think six and three is a little old, to me.  It's partly about teaching privacy and modesty early on.   My DD has seen DS thing and vice versa, but they aren't in close contact with it.  The other thing I consider is that even though they are children and for the most part innocent, there is a possibility of exploration in close quarters while naked.  I don't want my children playing with each others parts, or a cousin/friends parts.  

zorrokat
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I wouldn't put a 6yo girl with a 6yo boy, but IMO a 6yo with younger siblings or cousins is fine as long as an adult is supervising. They probably had a great time playing in the bubbles together.

Sweetmommy12526
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM

i only have girls but my daughters 6 and 1 have taken a bath with my nephew     3 1/2 .  but i think it really depends on how the kids are and how you have educated them. 

girl on a swingsingingbutterfly on headbaby girl

Mommy to Jordan, Jessica, and Jaylin

Step-Mommy to Julianna

SouthernMama08
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Umm....I don't really see any problem with what you did.  Now, if the boy was 6 or 7, maybe.

I know that when my brother & his wife had their son, his girls were 5 and 7.  Once my nephew got to be around a year, it was easier to bathe him if one of his sisters was in the tub with him....normally the 5 (then 6) old.  But by the time the youngest girl turned 7, that stopped.

So I guess my opition is it's okay to bathe together until they reach the age that nobody but the same sex see them nude.  Around 6 or 7.  By that is, by the time a girl is 7, only Mama, aunts, grandmama see her naked.  And the same about boys.

AngieMarie08
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM

This is not the same but similar, so it might help. I read an article about when should parents stop walking around naked in from of their kids. (i was waiting in the er and this was an article in a magazine lol.) it said by kindergarten. I dont remember the reason as to WHY this was the conclusion. Kids talk at school about what goes on at home, and you never know HOW they say something can sound like to another child or even adult.

akgraff
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM

i think it depends on how comfortable each child feels. If you have a son and daughter that are under age 7, supervise and they seem okay with each other thats good. But as kids get older some are shy about the whole seeing the other naked. My daughter (just turned 3 at that time) and my stepson (5 1/2 at that time) got a bath together and my hubby and i didn't think it would be a big deal, but his son wans't comfortable even though my daughter was. So that was the last time we gave them a bath together. He is now 7 my daughter 4. Also some parents stop putting both in a bath when each kid knows what the body parts are lol. I think you were fine giving them all a bath as long they were having fun and didn't seem umcomfortable

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I have 2 older boys and 2 younger girls ...so it's never came up the girls take baths together but I don't think I would allow them to take a bath with a boy no matter what the age.I just think it isn't appropriate.But that's JMO=) 

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

krystlewv
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I think when your child starts to notice that boys and girls are different. Personally I think up until kindergarten is fine, but no longer than that. I think it up to the parent to listen to where their child is developmentally and take it from there. 

I dont think you did anything wrong.  smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)