Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG - THE WHINING (Long and PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

I just don't know how to make it stop. I have two kids that just turned 4 and 5. They cry and whine OVER EVERYTHING! It's horrifying.

I've talked to them about their behavior.

I've rewarded

I've disciplined

I've yelled

I've redirected

I've told them that other's don't want to play with whiny & crying children.

I am out of ideas. Right now they are in their rooms because I couldn't take it anymore. This latest melt down was over the fact that they are thirsty. I gave them water. They didn't want water (water is what they get during the day except at meals, this isn't abnormal). Hence the meltdown. I just looked at them and very calmly said, if you won't stop, go to your room. So, that is where they are. I'm about to let them out because they stopped and explain why they were in trouble.

We are a home-schooling family but they get plenty of interaction with other children and they DO NOT behave this way out in public, only in places where they are very comfortable, like at home and close families houses.

HOW DO I GET IT TO STOP! IT'S DRIVING ME UP THE WALL.

"An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a
church. An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of a prayer
said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into
death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated."

- Justin Brown

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

bump

No One?

- Justin Brown

MamaCass07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Honestly, I am right there with you. Over an almost identical issue. Here is a bump. I hope someone has some wisdom.

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Same here! Last night I told my 4 year old to stop crying, he said "I'm not cryingggg, I'm whiningggg" UGH!

FrogSalad
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I'd like to know, too.  The really bad part is I hear myself and my husband start whining back . . . trying to placate the beast!

When you go home you ought to go like a ray of light -- so that it will, even in the night, burst out of the doors and windows and illuminate the darkness.  Robert G. Ingersoll

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Have you tried whining right back at them to show them how annoying it is? When DS gets whiny, I get whiny too. In my most exaggerated whiny voice, I'll say things like, "Well, I don't like it when my son doesn't want to pick up his toys, and..."

Sometimes it does the trick. Good luck!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Quoting RobynS:

Have you tried whining right back at them to show them how annoying it is? When DS gets whiny, I get whiny too. In my most exaggerated whiny voice, I'll say things like, "Well, I don't like it when my son doesn't want to pick up his toys, and..."

Sometimes it does the trick. Good luck!

Yep. Tried that too. =( I am just at my wits end.

- Justin Brown

meagansmommy07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Ah, I'm right there with ya. I only have one though. She's almost 3 and every sound that comes out of her mouth is whiny. It makes me want to rip my hair out. I'm convinced she has forgotten how to talk in a normal way...I honestly have no advice for you because I'm trying to figuring it out to, but I figured I'd give you a bump...

Kara

Mommy to Meagan Marie

Join us on

The Preschool Group
Preschool Group Mod

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Thanks ladies.

I actually feel a little better because I'm not alone. I haven't done something terrible to screw them up..must be the age.

Doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to correct it. Just happy I'm not alone. =D

- Justin Brown

photomommi
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I don't know how much help I can give you, but here's what I do and usually it works. If my son whines at me(if he wants something or doesn't want to do something) I just stare at him. Then he whines again and I stare at him. I don't say anthing till about the 4th time he whines. Then I say something like "I'm waiting for you to talk normal" or "I won't answer you until you stop whining". Usually he will then repeat himself in a normal voice and then I explain the why of the situation. If he starts whining again, then I give him a time out in his room. After about 5 or 10 min he is done and he usually apologizes.

armymomof2brats
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I am trying to stop my son to stop whining and begin talking to me. He will only say a few words and it drives me crazy. So i am right with you on the whole going crazy feeling. But my son is 2 1/2 but i swear it was never this bad with my daughter.

Lilypie - (MLRj)

preview image

Lilypie - (pih2)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)