Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training/Talking

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son just turned 2 the day after Christmas. I'm wondering when is a good time to start potty training. He doesn't seem quite ready yet, BUT every time I go he has to be in the bathroom with me and points to the toilet paper knowing that it's to be used. My nephew is 3 and hasn't even started the process. (laziness on the parents part I do believe).

Also, I was reading an article online from babycenter.com. They said children his age should be saying 50-75 words. My son says like 5. I don't know if he just doesn't want to talk, because he is a smart child. He can do all the motions to songs like the itsy bitsy spider and patty cake. and he's obsessed with counting. They said that it could be a hearing problem. Yes, my son can tend to not listen to me when I speak to him, but just the other day I asked him to get me a diaper and the wipes for me so I could change his baby brother and he did it the first time. Also, if he's watching cartoons and they say "Do you see the.." or "Where's the.." He will point. But if I ask him "Where's Daddy" or "Where's Gramma" he won't point to the person. In addition, my cousin's son is 3 1/2 months younger than mine and is talking like crazy. SO, I get to hear ALL the time about this and that my son should be talking. It's not like I can give him time out if he doesn't!!

Just wondering the progress of everyone's children!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Have you talked to his pedi? They should be able to rule out medical problems and tell you that everything is normal. He might just be taking his time and will talk when he's ready.

My son was an early talker so I'm not much help. Good Luck though!

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I wouldn't worry at this point. They just all develop so differently. As far as potty training, if he seems interested, it's worth a try! But I wouldn't push too hard yet. DS was potty trained by 2 1/2, but my friend's son not until almost 4!

When my son was 2, a friend came to visit with her 2 1/2 year old. Her son was saying the alphabet, and mine, just a dozen words or so. I thought "wow, her son is really advanced!" Little did I know that by the time DS was his age, he would be doing the same. It was like a switch turned on and the vocabulary just started snowballing! A lot can happen in just a few months when they're little. =)

mysti26
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM

My ds did everything late, except potty training he was potty trained at 1 and a half. but I think every child does things at their own rate. talk to your pedi though see what they say don't listen to people tell you what your child should or should not be doing. Don't compare your child to any other child. If you have questions talk to your pedi.

CarisaD
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM

my son was an early talker, crawler and walker...so not much help from me..

but, my sister's son is 19 months old and says only a few words like hey, bye-bye, dada, adam (his daddy's name) momma.  he mostly points and grunts.  he learned to walk at 13 months old, crawling maybe just 3-4 months before that.  her pediatrician hasn't raised any flags about his development yet.  my cousin goes to the same ped. as my sister and I and he recommended speech therapy for her daughter when she was the nephew's age and said as few words....so i guess it's really different for each kid.  some kids just don't talk because they don't have to. 

i have another friend whose son said little and had a hard time getting out what he was trying to say.  when he turned 3, he went into speech therapy.  he has a sensory processing issue which was giving him problems with turning what he heard into words that he could say.  he still struggles a little, it's like his mind isn't running as fast as his mouth and he has to stop in the middle of what he's saying to get caught up...he wasn't fully potty trained until nearly 4.  because of the sensory issue, he held his poop in and also would only go in a pullup-not the potty.  he was stretching his colon with how backed up he would get, so he had to go to a pediatric gastroenterologist for help-he was in good shape by the time he was 5. 

newmommyhjm
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM

My daughter is 22 months (today) and is fully potty trained (has been for 2 months)... and she talks VERY well... she's a talker. Her peditrician said she was well above a 3 yr old at her 18 month check up. :0)

Maybe he's ready to potty train... ,it's worth a shot. As for the talking... I have no idea. Here's a bump for you!

I'm Heather. Proud Army wife to Colt, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Loving Mommy to Chyenne, the prettiest little princess, and Cohen, the most handsome little milk monster!

OhioTBear24
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Every child develops at their own pace. I wouldn't worry about his speech unless the pedi is. My daughter is almost 3 and excels at everything but potty training. She will sit on the potty but won't actually use it. We started introducing potty training a little before her second birthday so almost a year ago, and we are still not there. But it seems like the more we pushed, the more she resisted. I say, if you want to start trying, don't push too hard. Good luck!

Mom_Meof2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I agree with the moms posting... every child is different. I have a boy and a girl and I will tell you from my experiences in certain things its the same, others shes ahead in and in other areas he has done things before she has. As far as potty training Mari just turned 3 here this month and has been fully trained for about a year or more. She came up to me and said Mommy I have to go... and no im not adding words she said that exactly( I guess I didnt have trouble with her talking either...) anyways I took her in took off the diaper and sat and pooped... I know normally they try to pee first and poo'ing comes later... she sat down got right to business and as soon as she was done she said "mommy I want to wear my big girl panties" that was that... no problems at night, on long trips, while visiting or in public. It couldnt have been easier. As far as her talking she has been spitting out words since she was literally three months old! A little over a year she was saying words like Mississippi and Constantenopal, at 2 she was telling us who the president was, what city and house helived in and the color of the flag. I think its just about timing and when they feel secure enough to talk or let you know they really know how to communicate. If people are making comments around your son pertaining to his speach maybe he is picking up on that and doesnt feel secure enough.... I know when I would ask Mari to say her colors or what have you if she was around those who she didnt know or knew people were expecting something from her she wouldnt do it. So I guess as far as this goes with her I couldnt be much help.

How ever.... I also have a 1 yr old little boy and although he is vocal he is not nearly as vocal as his sister was at his age.. even tho I work with him as much as I did Mari. I believe he picks and chooses what he wants to hear and respond to... he is a bit more head strong then she was at his age so Im sure with due time he too will be talking my ear off! Right now he is saying anywhere from 10-20 words and understands more just doesnt want to verbalize them. For instance... he knows that a cow says moo and when asked he will show or bring you the toy cow and tell you what it says when asked BUT refuses to actually verbalize COW, knows and says cat but unless he is in a mood wont tell you what a kitty says.. and he knows.. i have caught him meowing at the cat! He says dog and knows to bark ... so I mean I believe they know and understand more than what they choose to verbalize. Now pottying.. thats interesting... he will bring me diapers and wipes and tell me stinky when he knows he has pottied... he follows his sister to the potty and if she is on the big pot will get on the small one and pretends to go... he likes to grunt and make faces. Just the other day while I was doing laundry he followed me down and squated next to the pot in his diaper and did both, turned to me and said "Mom Stinky"!! THANKS RYAN I love you too lol... so I guess its just when they are ready... but when they know what to do and are going through the motions there isnt anything against trying it out ... just remember that consistancy is the key to all things with children.. dont be over baring but just  gently nudge them into it :) I wouldnt worry about anything ... dont put too much into what others say, just know that when they lil guy is ready he will let you know one way or another!

~*~Breast Feedin,Co-Sleeping~*~ 
**Mommy of 2 Beautiful Babies**

busy mom

Mae264
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:30 AM

I have a 2 1/2 year old son and we are trying to potty train him to no avail. I'd buy him his very own potty and see if he shows interest in it since he goes to the bathroom with you and seems interested now is a good time to start. As for not talking much I wouldn't worry to much I seriously doubt if my son says 50-75 words he talks in very short sentenses and some things you just can't understand when he talks. I'm sure in the next 6 months his speach will take off my son only spoke a few words at two and with in a couple of months he was saying everything.

moodygremlin
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Every child develops at their own pace.  My son wasn't saying much until the last 8 months or so.  The pediatrician sent us to have his hearing checked and referred us to Early Steps.  His hearing is fine.  While we were working on getting the ball rolling with Early Steps he started saying more and more.  It's paid for by the state so it's good.  My son has a speech therapist that comes once a week.  She has been coming for just over a month now.  He also has a special instructor who comes once a week.  I like the special instructor and think he will benefit greatly from her.

I feel with my son it was the fact that he didn't need to talk to get anything he wanted.  It has always been just given to him.  He catches on to everything really fast.  The special instructor even said that on her first visit here that he was smart and caught on to everything so easily.  I think he has reached his time to blossom. 

As for potty training my son doesn't want to.  He was fine with sitting on his potty until the day he peed in it and he was completely disgusted by it.  Since then he gets really upset and doesn't want anything to do with it.  I am going to try again very soon.  He will bring me a diaper and wipes when he needs to be changed most of the time.  I've heard of the 3 day method and am thinking about looking into trying that.  I'm hoping the feel of pee running down his leg will disgust more then going in the potty. lol.

usmcwifemom2
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM

i have two girls, my 4 yr old was potty trained 2 months prior to her 3rd birthday. she hated being wet or dirty so it was a piece of cake! my 3 yr old, she turned 3 in november is still in diapers. no interest what so ever with going potty. she doens't care if she blows out a diaper and gets wet from peeing on herself. so until that happens that she cares about being wet then doing potty training would be a frustrating waste of both our time. so don't push the potty issue, you will know when he's ready. if you push it too soon all it will end up doing is frustrating him and turn him off from wanting to go. for boys they make the "peter potty" it's a urninal for them that grows with them! and it has a water tank to "flush" it away. it's adorable!!! makes me wish i had a boy! lol both my girls have always followed me into the bathroom and i let them, because modeling behavior is something that helps them in the long run! my husband always locks the door! haha i never pee in peace! why should he be able to!!?? lol elmo's potty time video was done well, it's a good one for that age to watch.

as far as speech is concerned. take him for a developmental check up. lexi, my 3 yr old, is in speech therapy twice a week and OT once a week. she has words, tries to say them, omitts syllables constantly, she has been diagnosed with apraxia, oral motor apraxia to be specific. and she has a sensory processing disorder. i noticed her speech not being right around 1 1/2 yrs old when she didn't even say dada. she said mama, but not dada. i thought back and forth do i get her eval'd or is it because daddy was gone for 7 months of her being a baby, he was deployed to iraq when she was 2 1/2 months old till 10 1/2 months old. but it didn't improve. her hearing was bad due to fluid, the list goes on. but speech therapy has helped WONDERS! Early Intervention is a FREE not by your insurance program that will come to your house to do an evaluation, if he's qualified he'll be given speech therapy usually in your own home. so if you're questioning it, why not call them. they will come out and test him, he won't even know he's being tested, they play with him. and then you'll have peace of mind. that's why i took her to the pediatric neurologist. for peace of mind, and he confirmed what i was thinking, apraxia. good luck to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)