• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating With Their Fingers?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

DS is not a picky eater and I am SO thrilled about that! He'll eat nearly anything. He loves salad and broccoli and lots of things that kids can be picky about.

BUT... he eats a lot of things with his fingers. He'll use a fork for things like meatloaf and a spoon for corn, etc. But he eats salad with his fingers. I haven't pushed him too hard because, well, at least he's eating. But should I be pushing? I mean, he's 5. He'll go to kindergarten in the fall. I don't want him to be invited to a friend's house for dinner and behave like a barbarian at someone else's house.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mrjjmt
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

If I were you I would remind him to use his silverware, but sometimes it is just easier to use your hands, I wouldn't be to worried about it yet though.

fairymom2316
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

My daughter loves salad and she eats it with her fingers, but only at home. If we go out to eat, I have her use her utensils.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM

That's what I've been telling him. But we don't go out that often, so he doesn't get much of a chance to actually do it.

Thank you both for the replies!

Quoting fairymom2316:

My daughter loves salad and she eats it with her fingers, but only at home. If we go out to eat, I have her use her utensils.

justanotherjen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I always encourage utensil use.  My 3yo is pretty good about it and gets upset when she can't get something with her fork/spoon and realizes she's probably going to have to use her fingers.  Then I have to explain that sometimes it's okay to use you fingers to help get your food on the spoon, etc.

My 9yo, though, is awful about eating with her fingers.  She's almost 10 for crying out loud and every single meal I have to remind her to use her fork/spoon because she's not a baby any more.  She eats everything with her fingers and her hands are never clean (GROSS!).  I have to yell at her to go wash her hands after we've started eating because she doesn't care.  Not sure what she does in school but I require utensil use for my older kids (they are 9, 8 and 7).

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM

You are not alone! My oldest is 6 and he still picks up his food with his hands! It drives DH and me nuts! We keep having to tell him to use his utensils! I expect that they all grow out of it eventually. My 3 y/o uses utensils better than my 6 y/o!

I think you just have to keep telling them to use the utensils. Tell them to watch you and how you do it. Maybe get them special utensils so they feel like they want to use them? Who knows.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

We do have special utensils for the kids and DS is very happy that he can reach them himself now.

Years ago, a client took my husband and me out to dinner as a thank you and we were at a very fancy restaurant. He ordered asparagus as an appetizer to share and he ate it with his fingers. DH and I have eaten asparagus with our fingers ever since! LOL So that doesn't help much, I suppose.

newmommyhjm
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I say you definitely need to be setting an example (like I have an OCD type thing that I eat EVERYTHING with a spoon instead of a fork... for the past year, I've broken that habit and tried my best to eat with a fork when approiate so my dd (22 months) gets the idea). I have been giving DD a fork/spoon to eat with since she was about 8 months... she is really good at it now... sometimes she forgets and I remind her to use her fork. :0)

I'd say practice is the best thing you can do... but really as long as he's eating and he KNOWS how to use a fork/spoon/etc than he's just fine. lol.

I'm Heather. Proud Army wife to Colt, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Loving Mommy to Chyenne, the prettiest little princess, and Cohen, the most handsome little milk monster!

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Wow! How do you even do that? It seems like it would be really hard to eat some things with a spoon. Glad to know I'm not the only one with OCD issues, though! hehe

Quoting newmommyhjm:

I say you definitely need to be setting an example (like I have an OCD type thing that I eat EVERYTHING with a spoon instead of a fork... for the past year, I've broken that habit and tried my best to eat with a fork when approiate so my dd (22 months) gets the idea). I have been giving DD a fork/spoon to eat with since she was about 8 months... she is really good at it now... sometimes she forgets and I remind her to use her fork. :0)

I'd say practice is the best thing you can do... but really as long as he's eating and he KNOWS how to use a fork/spoon/etc than he's just fine. lol.

mama2000_1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Maybe you could try and remind him at home and see how that goes. Then, if the issue of going to a friend's house does come up, remind him about table manners. Or even let him do it at home, but tell him there are certain things to do at home that are ok, but when you are somewhere else, you need to use manners. He is old enough to understand that concept. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you really want him to use the utensils, then maybe you could have him try it with one item (like salad) and then gradually add more as you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)