Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old girl not focused?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM
  • 2 Replies

My daughter turned 3 in September.  She is VERY bright in the sense that she picks up things very quickly.  She is reading now - not just reading words she know, she can read a short simple book that she has never seen before. The teachers were shocked one day when they were writing each child's name on the board and my dd read all of them.

However, she is in 3 year old PreK twice per week and seems a bit more immature than the other kids. My daughter also doesn't TALK much when she's there...she doesn't ACT shy in the sense that she hides from the teachers or other kids, she just doesn't talk a whole lot whereas at home, she's a chatterbox.  Also, the other kids will stand in-line to go to the library and she'll walk off the line and go to a toy or during storytime, she'll get up and run away to do something else. However, she'll sit at the table for snack time with no problem or sit for a story that she knows and has an interest in. It is a class of 15 kids and she is the second youngest...so there are kids that are almost 9 months older than her in the class.  From what the two teachers have told me, it's a very wild class in comparison to the other classes they've had in the past.  I think she gets extremely overstimulated by all the activity and this is maybe why she loses focus.  When she is home with me, she is usually fine. I'll think of different arts and crafts to do and she does well with me one-on-one.  At first, I wondered if it was signs of ADHD but most everything I've read says drs don't like to diagnose it until at least 5 as a lot of times, it's simply a matter of maturity.  And she DOES focus with me at home.

I try to work with her at home and do things one-on-one and give her a couple of responsibilities and make sure she does them.  I'm wondering if she needs a smaller class size so she can get a bit more individual attention? Is there anything else I should be doing with her?  Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's just a maturity thing or something else? 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM

If anything I wouldn't say ur baby is "immature". My initial thought is that since she is so smart, maybe she is bored with the other students and/or the curriculum. She feels left out or different, so she isn't involving herself like the other kids in class. I would suggest either looking into smaller class sizes, or even looking into a school locally that deals with gifted children. She seems very bright! Good luck!

Wendy_June
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM

She sounds just like my son. (4 yo) He is very quiet around other people. He was in speech for awhile but after I put him in preschool they decided he didn't need speech anymore. He's been in preschool since last fall and his teacher is telling me how much he has been opening up. There are only 8 or 9 kids on the busiest day and 5 or 6 on the less busy days. I'm sure she'll open up in time. She might just be a quieter person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)