Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to Bed

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

I really need some help ladies!  My daughter, Rylee, is three.  The past couple of weeks, we have to fight her to get her to go to bed.  She starts off okay, but within 10 minutes, she's crying and screaming and kicking her feet.  One night, she didn't fall asleep until after midnight.

We have tried nightlights, rewards (read: BRIBES), letting her cry it out.  We quit having her take a nap.  We've asked her if something is bothering her.  She says no.  She says she just doesn't want to go to bed.  Or she's not sleepy.

It wouldn't be so horrible, but we also have a son, Luke, who's two.  He goes to bed fine.  In fact, I'm not sure how he sleeps through the fits she throws.  My husband and I both work full-time.  We can't sit up with her all night.  I feel like a terrible mother.  I'm frustrated and angry, exhausted and at my wits' end.  Sometimes, I have to go in my room and have a time-out myself. 

I don't know what else to do ladies.  Please help!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rennez
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

here's a bump, mama.  i have 2 year old twins who have always been rockstar sleepers, and all of a sudden one is a nightmare when it comes to bedtime.  hopefully someone can give us advice!  i feel for ya.

AngelicaRenee
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM

My two year old has his nights that he just doesn't want to go to sleep. If I've tried everything else I'll just lay on the couch with him with all the lights off, and the house quiet and wait for him to fall asleep. Luckily we don't have many of those nights. good luck.

imechard
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

can you post her schedule? For us what helped was just prepare them for the night, tell them what was going to happen. Tell them that we would not stay with them after this, this and this. Then tell them that we would keep the monitor down with us and that we would come and check. Then we would actually leave. She really might be overtired by the time she goes to bed

sunshinemama86
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

do you have a routen? i think maybe if she knows is the same every night it might help. like get cleaned up, brush teeth, jammies, and stories that's what we do. we go up stairs at about 7:15 and she is out by 7:45 latest 8:00. maybe your dd is over tired? i know if dd stays up later bed time is a chore you would think it would be easier because they are exhausted but nope its worse.  

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Quoting imechard:

can you post her schedule? For us what helped was just prepare them for the night, tell them what was going to happen. Tell them that we would not stay with them after this, this and this. Then tell them that we would keep the monitor down with us and that we would come and check. Then we would actually leave. She really might be overtired by the time she goes to bed

I agree routine helped us to! GL

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Maybe lots of gradual winding down time before hand, snuggling together, reading books, etc. Very quiet things. With the understanding that sleep must follow. Maybe a special (new) bear or something. We have a bear that glows and the colors change. It's awesome! Neither of the kids sleeps with it, but I have trouble falling asleep and I'm thinking about taking that bear to bed with me!

Good luck!!

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 5:52 AM

We are all about routine in my house. Sometimes they still fight it, but not too much.

Quoting Kim24kids:

Quoting imechard:

I agree routine helped us to! GL

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)