Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One Bedroom

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Is it a bad idea to have a family bedroom?  They are four and three yrs old and I cannot get them to sleep on their own.  It's probably my own doing too because I enjoy being together with them being a working single mom.  They don't sleep on my bed but on a floor mattress next to mine.  I've tried every method and everyone sleeps most soundly this way.  What do you think?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Being that you are a single mom, its not that bad of an idea IMO. I would not let it go in my house most of the time because I like my space and time with my dh and I have 3 kids and not enough room in my room. But I do have similar problem, my 5yo dd will not sleep on the top bunk and we currently dont have room to unbunk the girls bed. Since she was my oldest we let her get away with more when she was younger and didnt establish a good bed time routine when we took her out of the crib which was at 15months when she started crawling out of it way earlier than my other 2. At that point we did let her sleep on the floor in our room so we could all get sleep, now she sleeps on the couch in the den. She sleeps fine like that and her doctor said that was fine if no one is hurt and everyone is sleeping good. SLEEP is the key! LOL! 

mama2000_1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM

If you are ok with it and everyone is sleeping well, go with it. Personally, I am married and, like pp, enjoy my time with dh, so they all have their own beds. But if I were a single mom, I might be more inclined to have them in my room because I love their company so much :)

kyco363
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM

I think they are old enough to be in another bedroom, by themselves. However, it isn't my family, nor my situation... you need to do what is best your family... maybe you can slowly but surely get them sleeping in their own beds. One step at a time.  Good luck!

Life is like photography, you need the negative to develop.

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM

I don't think it's bad or good. It is what you need to do b/c that is what you are most comfortable with and that's what counts. I am sure when they are ready, they will want to sleep in their own space.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Mom71307
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I agree!  There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping or co-rooming and the kids will choose to sleep in their own space eventually.  They, like you, feel a need to be close since they are not with you during the day!  Keep on what makes you comfortable and happy!

Quoting bhwrn1:

I don't think it's bad or good. It is what you need to do b/c that is what you are most comfortable with and that's what counts. I am sure when they are ready, they will want to sleep in their own space.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
kyru2
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. If I was single, and working during the day I KNOW my kids would be in my room too. When my twins were born, my daughter (21/2 at the time) felt left out bc they were in our room, so she would come in late at night and sleep on our floor. I felt so bad with her sleeping on the floor we just moved her toddler bed in there. It lasted about a month and she was fine going right back into her own room.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I would say to do what works for you. But make sure they have their own space to go to, because someday they will want that (and it will happen sooner if they already have an inviting place to go to!).

Shelby72
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM

In our other house, which was very small, we had one bedroom.  My older son was the only child then, and he slept with us most of the time.  We now have a large house, with three bedrooms, and somehow the kids still come and try to sleep with us.  The older one will go back to his own, but the little one still wants to be with us.  They are only little once.  Enjoy the fact that they want to cuddle now.  It goes too fast.

onecuteladybug2
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 6:06 AM

All that matters is that you and your children are comfortable with it. My DS2 is is still bed sharing and occasionally DD12 will sleep in my bed, especially if it's really cold. However, if they are both in my room, DH will sleep in DS' room. (He is 6'8" and a pretty big guy all around, so space would be REALLY tight if we were all in there together. He doesn't mind the bed sharing though, even if it means he's in another room by himself on that rare occasion.)

Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM

There's nothing wrong with your kids sleeping in your room. However, I was a single mom from the time Alexis was born until she was 4. Although we didn't share a room, she often came to sleep with me anyway. It was NOT easy to get her to go back to her room, once Luke and I married. But since we wanted more children--and we were newlyweds--we wanted her out. Took me months to get her to go to bed in her room and STAY THERE. So while co-sleeping is completely fine, you may not always be a single mom...so from that perspective, you may want to try getting them back to their own room(s) now. Not all at once, but gradually. It's natural that they won't sleep as soundly at first, because it will take some getting used to. But if you keep working at it, it will become the norm for them, and they will sleep soundly again.

~Alexis Emma 10-13-1999~~Leslie Kirsten 3-14-2004~~Sarah Mackenzie 8-14-2007~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)