Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you dispose of clothes you or your kids have grown out of?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:36 AM
  • 72 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you dispose of outgrown or unused clothes?

Options:

consignment

freecycle

donate to charity

give to family

throw them away

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 123

View Results

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kallie0478
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Where's the choice for......box them up and hoard them in the basement until they are taking over. 

krystlewv
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Quoting kallie0478:

Where's the choice for......box them up and hoard them in the basement until they are taking over. 

LOL...I didnt even think of that one!

kristielee79
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I have cousins with smaller children, so I just usually give the clothes away. It's a sham ewhen you look athow much money you've spent on them, just to GIVE them away.....lol

Steph925
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

i use to keep everything i still keep all my kids clothes jsut cuz me and my sisters recyle them and reuse them but with me and my DH'S clothes i normaly give them to friends that need them and what ever they dont use then they go to goodwill or the local DAV toys the got o whom ever wants them

doty family

FrogSalad
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Garage sales and Goodwill.

mrsringling
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I only save my kids' really special outfits, or ones that I really, really liked.  The rest gets taken to salvation army or friends that want them. 

sunshinemama86
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

i keep them good thing too because now were excpecting our second little girl.

comboc1
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

definitely donate them...since i can't wear them or my sons can't wear them anymore i don't have a basement to store them in or an attic, might as well give them to others who can use them. I usually save a few outfits they wore, but 99% of their clothes go to Birthright and I take some of their clothes to a daycare I work at where the parents never seem to supply the infants I work with spare clothes even though we ask time and time again.

trippsgirl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:53 AM

When we lived in KY there was an awesome consignment shop I would take the clothes to.  I would get money from my youngest daughter's clothes and turn around and use it to buy clothes for my older daughter.  Perfect!

But where we live now, there is one store and she is incredibly picky as to what she takes in, and her prices are too high for sale.  So most of the stuff I bring in gets returned to me.  I've just given up and have started taking them to Goodwill.

Verarose
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I could have checked each of the boxes.  I save most of the clothes for the younger ones, or kids will might have later.  Things that are totally trashed get thrown away, things that are in good shape that I don't want to keep get consigned, and stuff in-between gets sent to Good Will.  I started consigning as a way to make some cash that I can buy the next seasons clothes with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)