Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pre-K

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM
  • 21 Replies

How important do you feel pre-k is for kids?

I honestly didn't think that our school district offered it but I was curious about cut off dates at our district after reading a post on here and found that they do offer pre-k.

To me the thought of sending my 4 year old to school this fall makes me extremely sad. I think that he would be ready. He already knows so much already. And he has been asking to go to school for a while now ever since his best friend started school last school year. But I honestly don't know now. I want to keep him home with me for another year but I don't want to hold him back just because I want to be selfish.

"If I have a monument in this world, it is my son"

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4time-mom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM

The school district my SIL is in tries to force parents to send their kids through pre-k before sending their kids to K. Our school doesn't have pre-k, but we have an awesome preschool, and all of my kids have gone, are going, or will go. My 1st & 2nd graders are ahead of their peers who didn't go to preschool - really made kindergarten easier for them.

tabby_edwards
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:29 AM

my son is in pre-k and loves it. He's learning stuff i learned in 1st and 2nd grade I'm so proud of him

jdubsmom06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Aww! I felt the same way. My son is three and will be attending preschool in the fall. I feel that if your son is ready and willing, go ahead and send him. Children who attend pre-k or preschool seem to be so much more prepared (socially and academically) than children who don't. If the only thing's that holding you back is the feeling of letting go. You should look into a Mother's Day Out Program. They are usually at churches and are for only a couple days a week. Our son attends one now. It really gave us a chance to see how he would interact with other children and respond to teachers. Had I not sent him to the MDO progam, I would be a little uncomfortable sending him to preschool/pre-k.

collinsmommy_06
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

What are your kids learning in prek?

I know when I was in kindergarten it seemed more like what preschool is now. Learning counting, alphabet, colors numbers.....

Here is what my son already knows.

Colors, shape (recognizing and drawing most), numbers, (reciting,recognizing,counting objects and writing most), alphabet (reciting recognizing and writing), he understands math sequencing, I do arts and crafts with him, he cuts perfectly and is very creative.

We are working on phonics and practing on writing all our letters and numbers.

I'm not saying prek would not be beneficial I am just wondering if it is right for him. I work from home so he is always with me and I do work with him on things. We do play dates so he gets plenty of socialization with kids his own age. To me it just seems kids are going to school so young these days and they grow up so fast already......

robertmommy
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

personally  i think it is very  important , our 4 year old son goes and he   absoulty  loves it .

MOMOF2INTR
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Pre K does teach them the letters and numbers etc but it also prepares them for leaving the nest and going to school.  To know what it is like to be in the school enviornment, dealing with teachers and other students...

My kids are born in December so they do not go to Pre k until almost 5 yrs old...I feel they will be in with mostly kids that are a year younger than them, but I do want them to have that experience...It is mainly to prepare them and it is not all week and all day so why not...

xanayda
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Quoting collinsmommy_06:

What are your kids learning in prek?

I know when I was in kindergarten it seemed more like what preschool is now. Learning counting, alphabet, colors numbers.....

Here is what my son already knows.

Colors, shape (recognizing and drawing most), numbers, (reciting,recognizing,counting objects and writing most), alphabet (reciting recognizing and writing), he understands math sequencing, I do arts and crafts with him, he cuts perfectly and is very creative.

We are working on phonics and practing on writing all our letters and numbers.

I'm not saying prek would not be beneficial I am just wondering if it is right for him. I work from home so he is always with me and I do work with him on things. We do play dates so he gets plenty of socialization with kids his own age. To me it just seems kids are going to school so young these days and they grow up so fast already......

my daughter can count to 100 she can add simple things 4+3 stuff like that. she can write all of her number (her 7 is always backwards tho lol)

She knows and can write the alphabet she know site words such as my, and, have, the, is and a few more (writing and spelling out loud) she knows her first and last name also.

they teach her the continents and the pledge of allegiance

she is very social and has no trouble making friends... but she can also play quietly and has no issue with that either...

i love my daughters pre school they are awesome with her and teach her sooo much! she will turn 5 in July right before kindergarten starts and i have no doubt she will do well! :)

good luck finding whats best for you and your son. :)

Honeybun09
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I will be putting my daughter in pre-k when she is old enough.

Want to join an awesome group? Join TheSweetEscape:Uncensored today!

ArmyWifeNMomOf2
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM

My son is finishing up preschool and will be going to kindergarten this fall. Since being in preschool he has learned his colors and letters in sign language and his phonetics. He's four and a half and is able to sound out most words. I personally would say that preschool has been amazing for us and my daughter who will be three this summer will be going this fall as well as again next fall. I hope this helps and good luck! You have to make the best decision for you and your child.

Army Wife: It's not a job, it's an HONOR.

armytoddler girllunchbagnurse

Loving wife to Travis and mother to Jacob and Taylor.

asesnick1
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I think that the most important thing they learn in pre-K is social skills, and classroom behavior.  It will put him ahead when he gets to kindergarten.  I teach art to 4&5 year olds, and the ones who are familiar with a classroom setting are so much easier to teach, and get alot more out of the classes.  It is the same for kindergarten, except the things that they are learning are, arguably, more important.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)