Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Bed?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM
  • 12 Replies

At what age did some of you ladies introduce the toddler bed to your child? My son is 20 months old and is still in a crib mainly because Im afraid he'll either roll out, or when he wakes up in the middle of the night he'll get out of bed and roam the house.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

i moved both of mine to toddler beds at 9 months old just buy one of the toddler bed rails that you put on the side of the bed and they cant roll out or anything

mflevin
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2 and she is still in her crib. Since her crib does not convert to a toddler bed, she is going into a real full size bed (b/c we already have a great mattress and its full size) whenever her new bed (headboard/footboard) is delivered..which will hopefully be sooner rather than later. As for worrying about her roaming the house, she has not figured out how to lock/unlock the 'child' gate we have set up at the top of the steps...(it'll just suck for the dogs who come and go as they please since they have a dog door to the backyard downstairs)...

Mom to Anna, age 2 1/2, due with baby #2 June 24, 2010.
VP, Webmaster - Carefree Casuals
Infant, Baby & Toddler Clothing
Youth, Boys & Girls Clothing

justanotherjen
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM

My oldest got one just before she turned 2 (a hand me down from a friend) and started using it shortly after her birthday because our son, who was about 10 months old, needed the crib since he outgrew the pack n play.

Our son used the crib until he was 20 months old.  He then fell out of it twice in one night climbing out so went to a twin mattress on the floor (it was already in his room).  Also, his little sister needed the crib.  She was about 7 months old and in the pack n play.

She used the crib until she was 2 1/2.  At 2 we tried to take the side off and turn it into a toddler bed but she freaked out so we put the side back on and tried again when she was closer to 3 and she did fine.

My youngest daughter never even had a crib.  She slept in the pack-n-play (that thing got a lot of use) until she was 23 months and then got a junior bed (bigger then a toddler bed but smaller then a twin bed).

The only one that gave us problems was my son.  He would get up and wander the house and watch HBO at night.  He learned to open doors at 22 months and learned how to pry off the door knob covers at 24 months so there was no way to keep him in his room (he could just climb over a gate).  It was annoying but after a couple months he didn't do it as often.  He never got into anything, though.  He'd just eat popcorn that my husband left by the couch and fall asleep watching cable until me dad got home from work at 2am and made him go back to bed, lol.

serenity1104
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

We put our daughter in a toddler bed when she turned 2, mainly because she was trying to climb out on her own and we were afraid that she would fall out of the crib and get hurt.  She did have an adjustment period with the bed vs crib.  Even with the side rails she ended up one night sleeping with her head on the floor and her body laying sideways on the bed.  We actually have a picture of this because it was just too funny that she was sleeping through this.  As far as staying in bed was concerned she never got out of her bed unless my husband or I told her it was time to get up.   She would stay in bed and play until we got in her room.  (we may have been very lucky in this aspect)

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Both my older kids went into a toddler bed at 2 y/o. If I were to do it over, I would just go straight to the twin bed. Put a gate on his door if you are afraid of him roaming. Most toddler beds are pretty close to the floor, but you could put pillows there just in case.

Manda1976
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM

My kids were two and they went into a full sized mattress on the floor.

cholita1978
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

My Dd was 2yo when I swicth her to a twin size bed ( I don't see the point of a toddler bed) and I put guard rails so she wouldn't roll off, and I got the bed at IKEA where almost all the beds are close to the floor, and I have a pretty good alarm system, so if she tries to get out, the whole neighborhood will know.

silverdawn99
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM

i was worried about my oldest son sleep walking(I used to do it as i child) soon i just put a baby gate up at the entrance of their room. Now with my two and a half year old and four year old and thirteen month old sharing a room i still put the baby gate up because my two year old learned to turn the computer on.

aSoldierSWifE44
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM

almost 16 mts DS started sleeping in his.

LOVE_mygirls58
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:14 PM

My DD is 21 months and still in her crib but i took my oldest out when she was 2 yrs....but no matter what age they will put up a fuss at night for the first week

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)