Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Volume Control?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM
  • 10 Replies

How to do teach a child to talk softly? Two of my day care kids are just naturally loud kids. Even when they're not purposely yelling, their voices are just loud. I have a 15 month old who is often still asleep when they arrive, so I try to give them quiet activities to do, but inevitably, they still wake her. (DH is also asleep at that time as he works second shift, but it takes a LOT to wake him! LOL)

Anyway, one of these kids will start kindergarten next year and I wonder if this will be a problem for her there. I've tried to lead by example and show her that when someone is sitting right next to you, they can hear you when you talk softly. She's been coming here for 2 years and still no change.

Any advice? I know she and her brother are not trying to be loud on purpose.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kim24kids
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM

My girls are forever doing it at home but not in school=/

thebailiffs
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Have you asked if they have had their hearing checked. When children/adults can not hear the volume they are speaking they can not judge how loud they are.

This is a classic sign of hearing loss.

If I ask my son to whisper he will talk very soft. Can you ask them to whisper?

krystlewv
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Shane is loud. He talks loud and it bugs me to death. I cant figure out how to have him quiet it down. I say inside voice but it doesnt do any good. :-(

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM

My 3 y/o is loud. He does not have anything wrong with his ears, he just likes to be loud. When I ask him to be quiet, he looks at me and continues to be loud. It's so frustrating. I try to explain to him that the baby or daddy or whatever is sleeping or that I am right there and he doesn't need to yell. But he just doesn't get it. So annoying!

Autumn19
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM

true story i dnt knw wat to do either my son is 3 and he is not only loud he is a screamer same with running in the house i cant get it to stop and i live in an apt and it bugs the ppl downstairs alot.....maybe when daddy gets home it will stop for us

abra
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM

i give my daughter peanut butter to munch on when mommys ears need a break. We've also implimented quiet time during her sisters nap time and we enforce that the same way we require her to do anything else, but that doesn't work with other peoples kids. Sorry, I'm really no help! Best of luck!

photomommi
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM

My niece does this also. She doesn't ALWAYS talk loud, but she gets excited really easily and sometimes she screams for no reason too. I tell her all the time to quiet down, but it only lasts for a few minutes. I think the reason she does it is because she's scared someone isn't paying attention to her. I agree with a previous reply that maybe there is a hearing issue.

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I know they took their daughter to a pre-school screening when she was 3 and they do hearing checks then. She'll be going to a kindergarten screening in a few weeks and they will check her hearing again, so maybe that will provide an answer.

I have tried the whispering thing. It works with the other toddler, but not the kids from this particular family.

Quoting thebailiffs:

Have you asked if they have had their hearing checked. When children/adults can not hear the volume they are speaking they can not judge how loud they are.

This is a classic sign of hearing loss.

If I ask my son to whisper he will talk very soft. Can you ask them to whisper?

mom2cindylouwho
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Holy Moly!  DD has one volume and it's extra loud.  We started going to story time at the library & we learned "library voices" through that.  Now, when we need to her take it down a notch, we ask her to use her "library voice".  She takes it all the way down to a whisper and that's a-okay for me :)

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I always remind them to use their indoor voice. But maybe 'library voice' would work better. I know they go to the library pretty often. I'll give it a try!

Quoting mom2cindylouwho:

Holy Moly!  DD has one volume and it's extra loud.  We started going to story time at the library & we learned "library voices" through that.  Now, when we need to her take it down a notch, we ask her to use her "library voice".  She takes it all the way down to a whisper and that's a-okay for me :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)