Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

security blankey

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

My darling son who is four and a half has an elmo blankey that he just absolutley loves. He is able to take to headstart with him but next year is kindergarten. what age is approatite to take it away from him? I dont the other kids making fun of him?(yeah i know mispelled words)

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babygirlsmom314
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I don't know.  My dd doesn't having anything like that.  So here is a bump and good luck.

click to join in

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I am a bad person to answer this because my 4 year old still has his elmo blanky that he takes everywhere.. I think my parentgs took mine right before i started Kindergarten!

wedding planning

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Maybe you can gradually take it away between now and then. Let him have it for shorter and shorter periods of time or something...? No reason he can't still sleep with it at night, right? But I'm guessing he can't bring it to Kindergarten. Good luck!

Christy78
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM

MY 4 yr old has a light green blanket. this is her 3 rd one. But she would take it every where with her. I told her she need to start leaving it in her room. Becausr when you go to Kindergarten  you do not need your blanket.  When my oldest started Kindergarten  they had kids bring the favorite stuff toy. and one boy had this stuff dog it came with him every day .  I started this with my kids when they started kindergsrten I got them a stuff dog. My 4 yr old can not wait until she start Kindergarten because she can pick out her stuff dog.

LOVE_mygirls58
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:25 PM

My oldest had a bankie when she was younger...she is 4 1/2 right now to but i told her before headstart she couldn't take it with her cause it could get ruined or stolen lol she stopped bring it places

Kim24kids
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM

My dd is 6 and just sleeps with her baby blanket.

Maries_Mom23
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I would start slowly through headstart, having him keep it at home now and then, until you eventually work it up until he only gets it at bedtime. 
When I worked at a daycare, we had a boy who was attached to this blue blankey he had and his mom told him while he was at school, she'd keep it at work with her, so it would be safe.  She took it to work one day, took a pic of it hanging off of her work chair, and put it in his backpack to show she always had it.  (Though, in all reality, it stayed in his carseat all day!).  But, it still made him feel better, knowing Mommy had it.

sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM

If he still needs it by then, maybe talk him into switching it to something small he can carry in his backpack?  

n03z07l08
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I dont think you should take it away completely. Just start explaining to him now that he wont be allowed to have it much during the day and will not have it at school. I had my blankey until I was 13 lol. It mainly just sat on my bed but I always loved it.

mom2cindylouwho
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Quoting RobynS:

Maybe you can gradually take it away between now and then. Let him have it for shorter and shorter periods of time or something...? No reason he can't still sleep with it at night, right? But I'm guessing he can't bring it to Kindergarten. Good luck!

This is what we did with our DD(3).  She actually has two of the same blankets because she took it EVERYWHERE & we needed a sub so we could wash one.  First, we let her take it with us on errands, but she had to leave it in the car.  Then she had to leave it at the house.  Then, it could only be on the couch or in her play/bedroom.  Now, it stays in her bedroom so her stuffed animals can keep it safe.  With each step, we told her beforehand when her blanky had to stay somewhere & after the first time, we made a HUGE deal about what a big girl she was for not needing her blanket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)