Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The economy is going to make me go crazy

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

A little history - We moved to pennsylvania so my husband could go to law school and get a degree that would support us.  Well now here we are three years after and there is not a job to be found anywhere and he is a pretty smart guy but nothing.  We thought we had this job lined up it was suppose to be a guarentteed thing but in August they said they couldn't hire as many people as they thought.  So in May he is graduating and we are expecting our third child.  We can move ack to michigan and pray he can find a job somewhere but it may be a bad one or we can stay here and he can get another degree thats a year program 2 hours awawy he has too drive too two or three days a week.  I am so annoyed I have a baby coming in two months and have now idea where we are living everyone in michigan says to go back there and he will find something everyone here says to stay here and get the one year degree.  I just feel so annoyed and exhausted and worried that I have no idea where we will be i n May.  Should I be packing is a constant thought of mine.  I just really hoped at the end of law school he would have something I mean what more can they want in an employee.  

I don't know why I am posting this I guess I just need to vent to someone because I don't like to tell him how mad it makes me cause I think it makes him feel like a bad provider.  Also Where should we move maybe an unbias opnion would help.  Stay in pa and hope the economy is better in a year or move in with mil in michigan and take what job you can get. 

Pregnancy tickerMom to three little princess - Kailyn 1-7-06,   Taylor 1-19-08,    EDD 5-18-2010

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WImom2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Once he passes his bar can't he practice on his own????

othermom
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I hope that things get better for your family soon. Good luck.

cmb121906
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM

My advise....don't move back to MI. They are like the state hurting the most in this slump. GL with it all!!

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

Kim24kids
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Quoting othermom:

I hope that things get better for your family soon. Good luck.

mommy0217
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Im sorry about that..

I just wanted to share that I saw a congressman on CNN that sleeps in his office closet on a cott! his family is in utah and he said he cant see himself spending money on what he calls a hole in the wall, he says that he hopes congress will start thinking about budgeting.. I know this has nothing to do with your situation, just hope that it might bring hope to you that people are tryning to change.. I mean this guy makes 180K a year, but he wants to save for his kids college.

krystlewv
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Sorry its a hard time for you. I would be scared too. My hubby always thinks he isnt providing enough for us. Its a sensitive spot for him. I hope things get better for you!

group hug

asesnick1
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I understand.  We are debating whether or not I will go back to school this summer.  It is a hard choice becasue you don't know if the money and time you are investing is going to do any good.  I think I would suggest going for the extra year in school, and at that point maybe the economy will be better.  Even if it is not, he will be more qualified.  It will also give you some continuity in your life while you are transitioning with the baby.  The only plus to moving back would be if you knew he would have a job, or you have a really good support system.  I wish you guys the best of luck.

erin81784
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:32 PM

yes but what state and that is not a guarenteed income :(  or any income theese days :(  The bar is over 3000 so he will only be taking it in one state.

Quoting WImom2:

Once he passes his bar can't he practice on his own????

Pregnancy tickerMom to three little princess - Kailyn 1-7-06,   Taylor 1-19-08,    EDD 5-18-2010

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Oh honey! And the last thing you need during a pregnancy is STRESS! Will the additional degree guarantee a decent job? Or is that just a maybe as well? I really think you have to follow your heart on this one--or he does... will the other degree make him happy? Or the resulting job? Job satisfaction is really key, too--not just money--though I realize you need the money to support the family.

Vent any time you need to. We're here for you!!

thebailiffs
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I am not sure I know enough about your situation but I will say, extra years in school can NEVER hurt.  My husband and I attend Grad. school at the same time and now are secure in the jobs we have even in this slump.

As far as where to move.  I think he should do the extra year and look for a job at the same time.  I am not sure if where he has looked. Has he tried the state, or federal government. It may take a while (1 year) to get into but at least he would have a career for life.

I am clueless about a law degree, but can he take extra work over the next year in  a special area?

Good luck, I am sure it is hard with little children thinking about how things could get better.

We are glad we are here to "listen" to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)