Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Metal Caps for a toddlers mouth?!

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you Put metal caps on your toddlers teeth?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 34

View Results

If you wouldn't mind tell me what your reasoning is.  My son's dentist says his cavities are in need of metal caps but I really don't want metal in his mouth.  Do any of you know of any dentist that are against metal caps in toddlers?  I am not trying to start drama so if you want to be a bitch don't post anything!  Thanks! 

FYI my husband is also against it!  I want his teeth fixed but i see more cons then pros for this situation!

What would you do if the dentist refused to listen to your side?

Would you not worry about it or what? 

by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shy_Dia
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM

DS has 6 caps on his teeth. as much as i hate it, he needs them. without it (this is what happened for the last 3 that he needed)-- the cavity spread from one section of the tooth, to another and then eventually got into his other teeth.

you can ask for a white cap or even for them to just pull it out and get a spacer, but we went with the caps-- DS's dentist doesnt put white caps on until the person has adult teeth, since baby teeth will fall out.

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I don't really know anything about the pros or cons. Maybe you could start by telling us the reasoning for your opinion. I really hope this is a subject I never have to think about! (fingers crossed)

mumsy2three
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM

My 7 y/o son has a metal cap on his upper left last/2 year molar. He's had no issues with it. It will fall out eventually. Our only other option was to have it pulled and I thought that was more traumatic.

JacobsMommy327
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I don't want him to have them because I have read somewhere that they contain a small amount of Mercury.  Which scares the hell out of me!  What if it falls out and he swallows it.  And the dentist wants to put them all over his mouth.  Do dentist's really think they won't affect a child when it reaches school age?  Kids are brutal!  And I dont' want to look back and remember in a photo that his mouth was filled with siliver.  Those are some of my reasons!

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Oh goodness! I hadn't thought about mercury. That is one of the many reasons that we don't vaccinate, so I am with you on that one!!

Quoting JacobsMommy327:

I don't want him to have them because I have read somewhere that they contain a small amount of Mercury.  Which scares the hell out of me!  What if it falls out and he swallows it.  And the dentist wants to put them all over his mouth.  Do dentist's really think they won't affect a child when it reaches school age?  Kids are brutal!  And I dont' want to look back and remember in a photo that his mouth was filled with siliver.  Those are some of my reasons!

Kim24kids
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Quoting RobynS:

I don't really know anything about the pros or cons. Maybe you could start by telling us the reasoning for your opinion. I really hope this is a subject I never have to think about! (fingers crossed)

4time-mom
by on Mar. 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I had 6 capped teeth when I was young (baby teeth) and I have no problems because of them. They were all molars, so you really didn't see them unless I opened my mouth wide. I just looked last week at a lot of pics from when I was young & had them and don't recall seeing anything. I'll be 30 in a month and have no side effects from them. I wouldn't hesitate to have caps put on my kids teeth - my oldest has 3 fillings that are the metallic-looking stuff (not sure of the correct name for them).

FrogSalad
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I would have to know what the alternative(s) are to metal caps.  Will your dentist do regular fillings and will your ins. co. cover them for kids?  What is the effect on the permanent teeth if he doesn't have anything done vs. metal caps vs. regular fillings.  

I would ask the dentist for evidence-based research studies into the safety and efficacy of metal caps.  I wouldn't automatically say no if the sole reason against them is that they contain a small amount of mercury IF I was satisfied that the risk is minimal.

Maries_Mom23
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 8:36 AM

My DD had 2 metal caps and 1 half porcelain/half metal placed when she was 3.  She has no issues with them.  The metal are on molars and the other is on a front tooth, which is why it's half porcelain.  He probably will only do metal due to cost.  Out of curiosity, I questioned our insurance on all porcelain and they said they would only cover front teeth for porcelain, since they're "seen" the most.  Molars aren't easily seen and don't "require" all porcelain.  It's a price thing.  I don't remember the price difference, but it was a few hundred dollars difference. 

Jengibson
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Is there another option?  Besides the metal??  I just feellike it would be weird for them to be biting on metal the whole day, uncomfortable.  Plus the mercury would be #1 reason for me, but if you have to do what you have to do... right?  But I feel like there HAS to be an alternative....  like something more natural, more expensive I am sure but it is up to you.  Research it and see for yourself what the pors and cons would be.  Good luck.. it must be hard to have to see your little one go through it :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)