Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just curious....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: What are you thoughts on Infant/child baptism?

Options:

Don't agree with it

My kids are/were baptized as infants/children

People should be baptized as adults

I don't have an opinion...to each their own

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

Tiffany(26) DH(28) SON (10-2007) DAUGHTER (11-2009)

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I'm spiritual, not religious. But, IMO, baptism should be a choice--made when a person is old enough to understand what's going on.

sandraberke
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Quoting RobynS:

I'm spiritual, not religious. But, IMO, baptism should be a choice--made when a person is old enough to understand what's going on.

CafeMom TickersGlitter GraphicsGlitter GraphicsGlitter Graphics

isra1986
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM

My DD was "baptised" when she was a newborn (It is not like the Christian Baptism. In Islam, the father whispers the call to prayer in the newborns ear, it is the first thing they hear)
All my future kids will be also.

WhOabAbY22
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM

DH agrees thinks that it should be something done when they are older and can profess their faith.

I on the other hand was raised Roman Catholic (i have not been a member of the church since 2004 on our wedding day). And was just raised that babies are baptized.

We are having our kids baptized tomorow morning at a UCC church.

I guess with Easter coming up I was just curious about what our mommy community thought.

THANKS FOR RESPONDING! :-)

Tiffany(26) DH(28) SON (10-2007) DAUGHTER (11-2009)

krystlewv
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I know children are born innocent and I dont think God is going to keep us out of Heaven if we are not, as long as we take him into our hearts. (personal opinion, ladies) ☺

Both of my children were at birth because all my family is involved in my home church and it was important to them.

meglennox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:34 AM

i had both my boys baptised when they were infants so i choose that answer but i also agree with the last one. to each their own.

in my own experience of being baptised as a baby, i never gave it a thought really. it's never bothered me. i'm lutherian and it's tipicaly(sp?) done as babys.

kristielee79
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM

My parents and my grandparents were NOT happy when I didn't have mine baptized. I also feel it is something they should be able to CHOOSE when they are old enough to understand.

lovinmyboys...
by Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I believe in dedicating infants to God, but I believe it should be a personal choice to be baptized.

WhOabAbY22
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I guess my feeling is (about DH and his family)...

If they don't believe in it then to them it is just water. so why not just be ok with it, so that I (i know that is selfish) can be at peace about the whole thing...KWIM?

No one in his family is aware of the private service tomorow morning. the only ppl that are coming are my parents and my dad's parents (my grandparents).

I feel sort of bad sneaking around about it and not telling them...but for once i have stood my ground and am doing something for me and my family...

ohmommamia
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM

My kids were baptized as babies.  I think it really depends on the religion.  Some baptize and infants and then when they are older, they then get to decide then want to become an official member of the church by being confirmed.  I think it is each persons choice and you should do what you feel comfortable with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)