Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help - Claustrophobic 22 month old!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

I'm hoping there is some moms out there that can give me some advice.  My 22 month old daughter is showing more severe signs of claustrophobia lately.  It started about a year ago with elevators... she would scream at the top of her lungs until the doors opened.  Then it was the drive-thru car washes, any type of spacewalk/jumpy house that had an enclosed roof (the open roof types she loves).  Well this morning it was severely foggy on the way to school.  She was telling me it was rain but when I corrected her and told her it was fog she became hysterical, physically trying to climb out of her car seat. 

I'm at the point where I think I may be harming her by continuing to place her in the situations that she hates while trying to show her it's okay (elevators & spacewalks).  I thought she would catch on that if mommy says it's okay, then it's okay.  But it isn't working.  I don't want her to become more phobic, adding more situations that she's frightened in.  I need help to figure out what to do!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
savannabooker
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I would talk to her pediatrician and see what he/she thinks needs to be done

hope52899
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I planned on talking to her dr at her 2 yr checkup but I don't know if this constitutes an appointment sooner?  So confused!  I don't think I'd be laughed at by her doctor, but you never know!

savannabooker
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I would call and see if they think you need to bring her in sooner

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Oh no! Poor baby. She's so young to have to deal with a phobia--especially when she can't express her feelings the way an older child or adult could.

I remember DS being afraid of elevators--but I think it was the movement, not the enclosed space.

My only advice would be to talk to your doc about it. Good luck. Keep us posted!

hope52899
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I thought it was the movement of the elevator at first too but I quickly noticed the trend being small spaces/feeling trapped.  This is our second psychological problem with her... the first was night terrors that seem to be over now (lasted almost a year).  I'll be the first to admit that I'm messed up in the head ;) but I hate that my daughter has to deal with this stuff.  And like you said, she can't communicate to me what she's feeling so I don't know how to help her.  It literally breaks my heart!

I'll keep you posted... 

3girlsihave
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My daughter was the same way with the elevators. I took her through the car wash one time and she just looked scared she didn't cry or anything and I plan on taking her back through the car wash so she can get use to it and so she won't be scared when she gets older. The last time we went on the elevator she didn't cry but she looked scared. We let her know that its ok.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I agree with talking to your doctor. I have no idea how I would handle this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)