Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Therapy at 2?? / UPDATE IN RED

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM
  • 26 Replies

My son started freaking out at the park. The walk ways at the playground have these little holes in them and whatever the material is that they use to make the walk ways, is softer then metal so if a kid falls I guess it has some give. This also causes the floors to move. My son now gets terrified of the this. He freaks out, though I cant stop him from getting on them, once he does he panics. Well this is now being related in his mind to any floor with small squares. He starts to panic thinking that the floor is going to move.
My thought is, he loves Thomas, he sees trains he thinks Thomas.
He sees doors, he thinks Monsters Inc.
He sees McDonalds, he thinks french fries.
He sees small squares, he thinks the floor is going to move.
Does this require therapy? According to his doctor yes it does. He wrote a prescription for Visual Perception Disturbance and gave me the numbers to call and get my 2 year old son (who we are teaching to put 2 and 2 together) and get him therapy.
Any thoughts? This is a picture of the ground and him starting to panic, it isnt heights I tested that. It is just that floor.

I took what everyone said to heart and thought about it and decided to called the place, they put me on hold for way too long and were very unprofessional, so I took what the other half of you said and took him to the park, 2 days in a row. First to the highest park I could think of. He did ok, but still very skiddish, we didnt stay long. The next day we spent 2 hours at his favorite park, he was scared at first, but there were a lot of mamas and kids there I told them all to not scare him he was already scared. They were all great everyone jumped in to help him out and show it was fun and safe, half way through our 2 hour Mama (peer pressure) therapy session he was healed! He was running up and down, back and forth, he was jumping, sliding and climbing like a normal 2 year old. Just took some time and love and mama acting like a fool to show him it was all ok. Thank you all for your help.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenniL05
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Wow I don't know. That seems like normal behavior to me. My son is 3 and always does the association thing. Why do they want him in therapy, because of his fear? Or is it even that bad?

mommy2bunny
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:17 PM

IDK.  I would think it's normal for a toddler and preschooler to have some fears.  If my DD starts freaking out about something, I just show her that it's all ok.  I'm sure you've tried that already.   I would think it's just a phase.  BUT, I was in therapy when I was 2 and 3 yrs old.  That was when my mom and biological father had divorced.  That started when I was 18 months old and he started abusing me.  So when I was 2 and 3 yrs old, I was associating all men that resembled my bio father and I screamed blooder murder.  I was terrified.  So, I know it's normal for this age to start associating things.  I guess I owuld one of 2 things here:  I would either keep taking him to that playground and playing with him to show him that it's fun and not scary, or just quit takig him altogether.  I think docs are quick to diagnose and put blame on something rather than actually working through it.  But, if his behavior gets worse or doesn't go away, then, yes, I would take him to the therapist.  JMO.

HardWorkingMomK
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM

IMO it doesn't hurt to have them look at it now and not let it develop into something later? I mean they may notice something about this behavior that you do not. and none of the testing will hurt him, and anything that scares him will be controlled. JMO after going through a similar situation with my SD.

Shy_Dia
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:23 PM

is there any way that you can get to a ground/floor that looks like the playgrounds and kind of prove that it doesnt move? first by holding him, then holding his hand, then just eltting him explore it..? maybe stop taking him to that park? he'll probably out grow it- hopefully. they had a bridge thing that moved in all types of directions and it used to freak DS out- he was the same age as your son... but now that DS is 4, he's used to it and he likes standing on it and rocking back and forth.

luna08
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

idk i agree with pp's seems normal but it wouldent hurt to have him evaluated. you could climb up there with him and show him its alright, and then go somewhere with small tiles and dance and jump and show him its ok too. i do this with my 19mo even tho i probly look crazy to some people lol. my dd use to be scard of the vacum but i put her close and i taped it and gave a few soft puches to show her it dosent hurt me and then let her give it a few waks..now she looves it lol

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

At age 2, lots of things might freak a kid out. I would get a second opinion. I'm not a professional, but it seems like the kind of thing he might grow out of on his own.

SparklingHope
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Doesn't hurt to get him evaluated for those just in case or to ease a mind..even if it ends up all normal.

buggnbeansmama
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM

depending on the therapy, alot are common, thats why they have early intervention.  As far as what you described, I would imagine, basic association would be normal at that age.  However, I couldn't be positive, due to having two severely mentally handicapped kids.  However, it would not hurt getting him evaluated if the doctor suggested it.  To many parents ignore either the signs, or requests, and thats why so many children suffer developmentally growing up.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Wow, poor baby. I have no idea when therapy is required and whent it's not. I guess it doesn't hurt to go ahead and see if it helps. It might be a sensory issue.

devin814
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts. Though being the Mama in this case of course I freak out and think "not my son" and take everything personal. But reading what you all are saying I think you are right that it cant hurt just to have them look at him and make sure it is nothing and something he will outgrow. Always better to be safe then sorry. Just worry about scammers, and not sure if I will agree with what they say. Economy is hard and I dont want them to lie to me just to get us to come back over and over again to fix something that isnt there.
I also heard that it can be put on his permanent record, is that true?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)