Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and need some advice!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi girls, I am a mommy to 3 beautiful children. Evan, 4; Trevor, 3; Aubrie 10 months in 3 days. So lately my boys have been in this whining stage. I've tried everything I can think of and was wondering what you guys do to get the whining stage to end fast! I've told them that when they would like to speak in a normal tone then I will acknowledge them (if they consistently whine after that I just tell them to please talk to me in a normal voice) I cant phase it! It's making me nuts! lol I'm being so patient but its getting to me!

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
valkins
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Our son is at that whining stage also, and it drives us crazy also. He will be 3-1/2 yrs old next month, and he speaks fairly well, and can express what is wrong or what he wants, so we let him know, you can speak, you don't have to whine, and until you speak with us without whining, then we will listen, most of the time it works, and then it depends on what kind of mood he's in, but we let him know that whining won't get him anywhere. Just hang in there, they will outgrow it. 

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM

welcomeMy oldest has become a whiner (he's 6). I do not talk to hiim when he whines. I give him one warning that I cannot hear whining so he has to talk to me or ask me questions. If he continues to whine, I ignore him. It's hard, but I do it. I leave the room. I busy myself doing something else. Anything to make him think before he speaks again. Have you tried this? Also, since this is a behavior you want stopped, you can discipline with a time out. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but if done consistently, it will work. Give them three chances to stop whining and when you have to give them the third warning, they go into time out. Don't talk to them, don't tell them why. Make them think about why they are in there and what they need to do to not get in there again.

RobynS
by Robyn on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM

welcome

I have a 16 month old daughter and a 5 year old son. My son has become extremely whiney lately!! I'm doing the same thing as you. I tell him to go into another room and come back when he's ready to talk to me without whining. I believe if I'm firm and consistent, eventually he will realize that whining doesn't get him what he wants and he will stop! Fingers crossed. ;)

I love the name, Trevor, by the way!! I wanted to name our son that, but DH didn't like it. Or maybe he just didn't want to go with the name that I suggested first!

Mama2ETA
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Thank you ladies. I'm hoping since im consistant with this it will eventually work! Its so stressful, I have 3 whining kids some days (When my 10 month old is fussing lol) and those days are SO hard!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I understand how you feel. Sometimes the whining makes me feel like my ears bleed. =(

What we do is when they start to whine or throw a tantrum, they are asked to stop and if they don't they are sent to their room until they can speak normally.

BTW - I have an Aubry! She turned 4 in Feb.

"God is an invention of Man. So the nature of God is only a shallow mystery. The deep mystery is the nature of man."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)