Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is only 12months 1 wk and she is a very big girl. Most ppl mistake her for a 2 year old! She wears a size 2t-4t [depending on the make of the clothing] and she is in a size 6 diaper. Our stores dont carry a size 7 diaper i know online does but i dont want to order diapers offline..So within the next 3months i would like to start introducing the potty to her because the size 6 diapers are getting a lil tight in some brands [she has wide hips and a big butt. I kno that sounds crazy but shes got a dunk guess its the african american jean coming out of her! lol] And i was just wondering, if any of you started potty training early? If so, how'd you get your child to comprehend what you were saying? She has a good vocab and picks up on things [she even called me princess cus i always call her princess aniyah] so i know she'd be able to say potty and stuff..i just dont know how to get her to comprehend to learn about it this early and know when to feel for her pee or poop coming on.

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kjluther
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

This may sound stupid, but I make the ASL sighn for potty whenever I go, and I take her. My DD is almost 14 months and does some simple signing, but I'm not sure if she totally knows what's going on. Does she tell you when she's just gone? Does she protest being in a dirty diaper? For our sons, these were the two most important questions to answer yes to before potty training would be successful. Good luck!

Olivia213
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Honestly, not sure what to recommend.  Started potty training with DS at 2 - done within a couple of months.  Have heard girls are quiker and easier - so maybe you will be lucky. 

Thought maybe, as an interim measure, you could use underpants - the thick padded kind - with some rubber pants.  They are miserable for bowel movements - but we just held an edge of the underpants while flushing the toilet.  Not sure if they make the padded underwear that big - so good luck.

bump... ; )

alexsmommy24
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM

well i dont know how it is for a girl. my son is a big boy and we started potty training him earlier too. instead of diapers we started buying pull ups(the ones with the stars that disapear when wet). every few hours we would take him and set him on his potty chair in the bathroom and just let him set for a few minutes. and if either me or my husband went to the bathroom we would take him with us and set him on the potty while we went. to him it was a game we gave him a treat every time he would use the potty wheather it be a sticker or what ever. after that he caught on pretty good.

well i wish you the best of luck and hope that i have helped a little.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Does she show interest? Does she tell you when she's wet or poopied? It's going to be harder if she does not. I would just introduce the potty and see where it goes for that. I also think the ASL sign would be a great thing to teach her.

ahyesme
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 5:57 AM

I don't know about pottytraining a 12 month old .. you could always buy small adult diapers for her

krystlewv
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I have never had a girl so I dont know. I dont even know if a year old is old enough. I can feel ya on the big baby though. I had one too. Shane was fat! Good Luck with everything!

FrogSalad
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 8:07 AM

I hear many of the older generation moms swear they had their children potty-trained by 1 year old so I know it can be done.  But I also think that most of them didn't work outside the home and constantly took their kids to the potty.  Maybe the moms were the ones who were really trained?

My son was a fast grower the first year and then his growth slowed down.  I know he got to 2T very quickly and then stayed in 2T for almost a year after that so maybe your daughter's growth will slow down too?

aniyahsmomma09
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:09 AM

No she doesn't..but if i say do u got a poo poo or say did u pee pee she says them back to me if she did one of them.

Quoting kjluther:

This may sound stupid, but I make the ASL sighn for potty whenever I go, and I take her. My DD is almost 14 months and does some simple signing, but I'm not sure if she totally knows what's going on. Does she tell you when she's just gone? Does she protest being in a dirty diaper? For our sons, these were the two most important questions to answer yes to before potty training would be successful. Good luck!

aniyahsmomma09
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Umm, we do have pull ups that are good and i could resort to them.

Quoting Olivia213:

Honestly, not sure what to recommend.  Started potty training with DS at 2 - done within a couple of months.  Have heard girls are quiker and easier - so maybe you will be lucky. 

Thought maybe, as an interim measure, you could use underpants - the thick padded kind - with some rubber pants.  They are miserable for bowel movements - but we just held an edge of the underpants while flushing the toilet.  Not sure if they make the padded underwear that big - so good luck.

bump... ; )

aniyahsmomma09
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM

[im new to this so i dunno what the abrevies are.]

And no she doesn't, but i have put her on the potty before..she didn't know what i was doing lol, she wanted down. But i think ima just do the pull up thing

Quoting bhwrn1:

Does she show interest? Does she tell you when she's wet or poopied? It's going to be harder if she does not. I would just introduce the potty and see where it goes for that. I also think the ASL sign would be a great thing to teach her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)