Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Appropriate age to let a child play outside?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM
  • 86 Replies

There are many children in my area I see outside alone, no parents.  I think they are too young.

What age did you let your children play outside, or what age do you think you will let them out?

by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM

My children will not be permitted to play alone outside, not safe.

kamrynlily07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Ugh... I can't  think of that right now.  So many bad things happen to unsupervised children. My daughter is only 3 so its out of the question so far. Bump... I wanna see other answers

Leosmama2006
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I have been wondering that too. Interesting question.... 

metalmummy

I want to see other answers too.  My son will be 4 next month and he wont' be allowed outside for a long time by himself.  Years.

I see 4 year olds outside alone, I don't understand it.

lolamac

My children will not play outside unsupervised until they are around 10...and that's in the back yard fenced in. Only at age 14 did I allow my son to ride his bike in our neighboorhood to see a friend and even then he was not allowed to go out of the distance that his walkie talkie could reach.

WAY too damn many kids outside unsupervised and with NO parents in sight. Pisses me off.

Brianav
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I also see tons of kids outside without parents. My neighborhood is super safe and friendly but my DD is NOT allowed to play outside without my supervision. She is 4 yrs old.

I DO let her play in the back yard all by herself whenever she wants. My backyard has a locked privacy fence and I open a few windows so I can hear and see her.

Edit: I probably wont allow her to play outside by herself until she is like 13 or 25 lol.

--♥--Briana--♥--

palexander
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Once our kids started walking they could go outside. As for alone, 6, but we live on a dead in road in the country.

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I would say like close to 10, but it would be like oh just go outside. I would know at that age I could go get a drink of water without worrying too much.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Back yard - 6 foot fence with padlocked gates - My 4 & 5 year old can play in the back til their hearts are content without me.

Front yard - We play out together. At least for now. I don't know how old they will be until I feel comfortable letting them roam the neighborhood without us.

"God is an invention of Man. So the nature of God is only a shallow mystery. The deep mystery is the nature of man."

isra1986
by on Apr. 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM

No clue. Probably never!
You can't trust people. I would never forgive myself if someone kidnapped and hurt or killed DD!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)