Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doesn't want to nap/waking up @ night

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

My DD is 25 months old & for the past few weeks she hasn't wanted to nap, plus she's been waking up @ night again. Normally, her naptime would be @ about noon & then bedtime would be between 8-8:30pm. She used to willing follow me in her room to lay down, play/talk till she fell asleep. Now, she fights me @ both times & will cry/yell till she finally gives in (she may stay awake the whole time & never nap). Now with bedtime (has had the same routine), she'll have her snack b4 bed, get ready for bed, & once she realizes it's bedtime, she'll cry/whine for up to an hr (I won't go in unless she's really upset & sometimes it Dh that will go cuz she'll get even more upset if I go in the room--she wants to be with me). After she falls asleep, some times she's back up again during the night...one night she was up 3x's??

I don't know what to do..if she doesn't have a nap, she's really tired/cranky by 5pm?? She has a blankie & a couple of stuffed animals to sleep with. There is a night-light in her room, a humidifer that runs, & a music cd that is always set to low. I don't know what to do. (Today I put her down @ 1; instead of noon..she fussed for about 20mins & was up a little bit b4 2. She's planning but still rubbing @ her eyes).

Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Photobucket

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILovemyPaulie
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Hi! I know what you are going through. My Son was on the same schedule. When he turned 2 1/2 he started the same thing. So I just pushed everything a little later. So instead of him going in for a nap at noon, he now goes in at 1:30 or 2:00, & naps until 4:00. Ocassionally we will even run a little later. He will go to bed now at 9:15-9:30. By the way he's now 3 1/2. I really need the nap time to get things done around the house the only thing is bed is now later but it is worth it. Just re-adjust your daily schedule and push everything ahead including meals until a little later, this may help! Good luck!

Also if he doesn't get a nap for the day, he'll be sooo overtired that he's up multiple times during the night too. Maybe that is why she's waking up because she's overtired.

MamaSulli2005
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My daughter did the same thing.  Now at 4 her naps are seldom but she is supposed to lay in her room quietly so her brothers can nap.  I'm not sure what to do about the night time thing because my son did it too and it was just consistantly going up and putting him back in bed.  I've heard or read to not say anything just put em back....which is difficult by the 15th time, however it will work.  He'll go for awhile with being good about going to bed and then start up again, i'm not sure why.  But I just go right back to repeatedly putting him back in his bed.  I know for awhile I'd sit in the doorway with a book and booklite until he went back to sleep to...it kindda worked, but very uncomfortable after an hour of sitting on the floor.

krystlewv
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I never had this problem but my kids only naped about 45 minutes. I put them to bed about 7:30-8:00 when they were that age. Good luck and just be consistent!

mrhodgeswife
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:10 PM

i think its because now she knows she's missing things. My daughter would fall asleep anywhere anytime anyplace. now she wont. She's 2.5 and nap time is 12 or 1 sometimes 2 and its a fight most of the time, theres no way to block the sun in her room so i lay her in the living room lights off. She associates sleep quiet time withdarkness, and we watch my tv show to make sure shes not interested in it. Normally i have to tell her over and over again to close her eyes and then she's asleep. At night i had a routine to put her in her room read a story or two and then tuck her in and leave that did good for awhile till i let her slack on a day back from her dad's and lt her go to sleep on the couch. Just recently i had a problem with her getting up in the mddle of teh night and comeing to my bed to sleep. i just put her in her room and tell her she has to stay in her own bed till the sun comes up. she cried awhile last night because of that. Normally once in awhile she'll come to my bed to sleep in he middle of the night, i dont mind it if its once in a while every couple months but when its everynight it becomes a habit and i dont want her to get into the sleep in my bed habit, so i needed to stop it. But being pregnant i was lazy for the past couple days and let her do it so thats my fault.

sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Can you try pushing her nap up an hour?  Even if she sleeps less, it will help. Try R get an acitivuty in that makes her tiored , jut before nap , so she is really tired.  My dd would get up at night sometimes when she was younger, I would ignore it. She would eventually fall back asleep. The problem is that if they know you will give them attention, they will keep doing it. Good luck, hopefully it will pass.

naymommy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:26 PM

My son who is 3 is doing this.  But he keeps taking a nap at 5p I cant stop it then he wants to be up till 11 even if I put him to bet by 830 or 9.  He also has been waking in the middle of the night and playing and then sleeping till 1030 or 11am  I do not know what to do to change this.  I would stop giving a snack before bedtime.  It is fuel for the fire. Just go with the flow for a while and see what is going on.  Sometimes they are just going theough growth spurts that change their routine~

AMom29
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM

My son won't nap most days either, and he's 2 (28 months).  He wakes up once or twice a night too.

JuneWestling
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM

My 2 year old skips naps almost every day and has since he was about 18 months old. Maybe twice a week he will nap. I let him run around for an hour before dinner, 30 minutes after dinner which is right before bath. I leave him in bath between 15 min to 30 min. If he lets his water out he can stay in it as long as he wants. We do our normal bedtime routine. But we changed one small/big thing. He don't have a bedtime now. Instead of telling him hey its bedtime go lay down go night night. I tell him I'm going to bed and he lays with me in the rocking chair. So he watches about 10 minutes of tv/story time and he's out. I have taken out its time for you to do this and it's working so far almost 7 months now. He even sleeps in til 8 am now !! 

jessarendt22
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM

what does she do when she wakes up? like is she getting up to play or does she want to come and sleep with you? is she having night terrors , between ages 2-3 is when their imaginations are really at work and they start dreaming.

Also I notice whenever theres any big changes in a toddler routine or life it can cause them to act out maybe not sleep so well.

foistela
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Quoting jessarendt22:

what does she do when she wakes up? like is she getting up to play or does she want to come and sleep with you? is she having night terrors , between ages 2-3 is when their imaginations are really at work and they start dreaming.

Also I notice whenever theres any big changes in a toddler routine or life it can cause them to act out maybe not sleep so well.

This is what I was going to ask. Any changes lately?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)