Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transitioning to sippy cup - need advice

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM
  • 22 Replies

My son will be a year old next week & wants nothing to do with a sippy cup. Part of the problem is that he prefers to drink his bottle laying down (he holds it himself) and can't really grasp the concept of sitting up while drinking.   He uses Avent bottles & they  have handles you can put on them & I've been putting those on his bottles for a few weeks now & he still won't sit up while drinking.  He gets so upset when I try to make him sit up and he will just cry & cry. 
I even tried only offering him his formula in a sippy cup (basically this or nothing option) and he still won't take it. I've tried a few kinds of sippy cups - ones with soft spouts like the bottle & ones with harder spouts but he doesn't like any of them. 

My first son took to his sippy cup pretty much right away. He was drinking out of it before he was a year old. I had no problems getting him off the bottle, so this struggle is kind of new to me. 

I wouldn't mind letting him use a bottle a little while longer, but I'm due with baby #3 in 9 weeks and really do not want 2 children using bottles so idealy I would like DS2 to be off the bottle by then.  I don't know what else to do or try.
help? suggestions? please! 

Mommy to 2 wonderful princes - Ryan (4 years) & Alex (11 months) & 
pregnant with a princess

pregnancy week by week

jun10modgl by you.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyToEthan
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM

have you tried the ones with the straws?   those were the ONLY cups i could get my son to drink out of.     he didn't start drinking out of a "regular" sippy until 2 1/2!

good luck!

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

swilli06
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Quoting MommyToEthan:

have you tried the ones with the straws?   those were the ONLY cups i could get my son to drink out of.   

Same here. My son is 18 months. Those are the only cups I could get him to drink out of and the only ones he still drinks out of, except for sips out of my cup of water!

laura7485
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM

We did cold turkey with both of our girls, heres a bump :D

jenn210830
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM

i have no advice other than keep trying... and try the ones with the straws too.  my ds switched over no problem.  I know that with the next one its not going to be as easy!!! Good Luck!

Mary229
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Since he already uses the Avent bottles with the handles, do you have the sippy cup inserts for the Avent bottles too?  They are a soft spout that you can put into the bottle in place of the nipple.  Maybe give that a shot.  They're non-spill, so I think he would be able to use it while laying down too.  It might be useful for the transition at least.  They look like this.

Avent Non Spill Sippy Spouts - 2pk

I found them on this website.

http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/avent-non-spill-sippy-spouts.html

Or Babies R Us has a trainer kit.

Philips AVENT BPA Free Bottle Trainer Kit - Avent  - Babies

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331866&CAWELAID=259985686

UnprfctSAHMto2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Quoting Mary229:

Since he already uses the Avent bottles with the handles, do you have the sippy cup inserts for the Avent bottles too?  They are a soft spout that you can put into the bottle in place of the nipple.  Maybe give that a shot.  They're non-spill, so I think he would be able to use it while laying down too.  It might be useful for the transition at least.  They look like this.

Avent Non Spill Sippy Spouts - 2pk

I found them on this website.

http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/avent-non-spill-sippy-spouts.html

Or Babies R Us has a trainer kit.

Philips AVENT BPA Free Bottle Trainer Kit - Avent  - Babies

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3331866&CAWELAID=259985686

No, I don't have those. I didn't even know they  had them. I might have to look into getting those.... Thanks!

pregnant with a princess

pregnancy week by week

jun10modgl by you.

jessarendt22
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

when i transitioned my DD my peditrician told me to use the soft top nubby sippy cup because its kinda in between a bottle and a sippy once she got used to that i switched her to the toss and go.

UnprfctSAHMto2
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Quoting jessarendt22:

when i transitioned my DD my peditrician told me to use the soft top nubby sippy cup because its kinda in between a bottle and a sippy once she got used to that i switched her to the toss and go.

Those are the ones I have right now & he hates them. lol

pregnant with a princess

pregnancy week by week

jun10modgl by you.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I agree with the straw cup idea. I was going to get the conversion kit for my Avent bottles but I thought it was too expensive.

MamaSulli2005
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:08 PM

My son, 17mos had a difficult time compared to the other two with this as well, but I would give it to him in his seat not when he was on the floor.  As for the sippy cup, i bagged em all up but one and only give him sippys now....i started with the soft ones and have worked up to the hard one (the soft one get holes in them when kids think its fun to stick their fingers throught the sippy part...) Anyhow, one bottle for desperate measures such as screaming in the middle of the night and refusing to sleep(i only give water).  Good luck dear!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)