• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HIVES!!! **UPDATE W/ANSWER**

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM
  • 52 Replies

Anyone have experience with heat-induced hives?  DD(3) broke out with them for the first time (this season) yesterday & they're getting worse.  Poor girl woke up with welts the size of my hand this morning.  We're giving her Children's Benedryl (ours wasn't recalled), but it makes her drowsy.  Are there any other remedies to make her more comfortable? 
We live down South (for now) and the heat/humidity kicked it up a notch yesterday.  This same thing happened last year, though not until July, and it wasn't as bad - lasted about a week. The worst are when she wakes up from naps/nighttime.  We're blasting the A/C and having her run around in her undies when she wakes up, but I wonder if there is anything else I could do ... without turning her into a popsicle?

***THANK YOU for all your suggestions, ladies!  We spent the morning at the docs after calling the nurse help-line this morning.  The hives are no better and have spread to her mouth.  After a neg. strep test & normal CBC we have an appt. to see an allergists (NOT looking forward to that one).  In the meantime, we just have to try to make her as comfy as we can.  Hopefully the prescribed steroids & prescription allergy meds help in that.  Thank you again, ladies!

Here's what she's dealing with

We finally got DD in to an allergist ...

and the verdict, so far, is ... DUSTMITES!!!

The skin test wasn't 100% conclusive, so we have to go in for more sensitive blood work, but we're 80% sure it's dustmites.  Since they thrive in heat/humidity (we live in the South) and still live in the cleanest of clean homes, we have to take measures to keep them at a minimum in hopes DD doesn't have another outbreak.  She will also be kept on a daily dose of Zyrtec.  Sooooo, glad we found an answer!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
serenity1104
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM

When my daughter (5) came down with hives all we could do is give her the benadryl and we would also put cool cloths on the hives to try to take the fever out of them.  Good Luck, hope they let up soon.

CafeMom Tickers
2and2onway
by on May. 2, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Are you sure they are heat-induced? She may be coming in contact with something she is allergic to. Are you in an area that has been extremely wet lately, it could be a mold allergy, since many places have been wetter than normal. Maybe check with her pediatritian or allergist.

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Quoting 2and2onway:

Are you sure they are heat-induced? She may be coming in contact with something she is allergic to. Are you in an area that has been extremely wet lately, it could be a mold allergy, since many places have been wetter than normal. Maybe check with her pediatritian or allergist.

Yes, I'm sure =(.  Not one thing has changed in diet, environment, etc.  She has no allergies either.  They're worse after she wakes up & has been wrapped in her blankets (literally covered from neck to toes in hives) - nothing has changed in her bedroom either.  It's been very dry down here actually (not counting the usual AL humidity).  Last year this happened and they went away w/in the week.  This year they seem MUCH worse/intense.  We're heading into day 3 & giving it until Thursday. If there is no improvement we're off to the docs.  I'd take her in earlier just to calm myself, but everything I've read says there isn't much to do except make them comfortable ... which we haven't managed to do as of yet ... tried Aveeno oatmeal bath, Children's Benadryl and cold compresses *sigh*.

It's not even HOT down here yet.  Told DH if we can't do anything DD & I are spending the summer up in WA while he finishes school. LOL! Thankfully, this is our last Southern summer!

bhwrn1
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Did you try some Zyrtec or Claritin?

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Quoting bhwrn1:

No, didn't even think of that one!  Thank you!  Are those OTC?

bhwrn1
by on May. 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Yes, both are OTC and they have them for children. Keep in mind it might take more than one day for them to work b/c they have to build up. I would try the Zyrtec first b/c I have heard it works better than the Claritin.

Quoting mom2cindylouwho:

Quoting bhwrn1:

No, didn't even think of that one!  Thank you!  Are those OTC?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Audra209
by on May. 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM

We have the same prob with our son.. he breaks out in hives out in the sun an we took him to an allergist.. and he was not allergic to anything but peanut oil or omg. i forgot.. but they said he passed all the outdoor allergies.. but if we go for a bike ride or anywhere - he breaks out in hives all over and they said he will grow out of it - hopefully - well that was a couple of years ago.. he is 3 but still a hive boy big time.. We did put him on Benadryl.. but did not like the sleepy all the time and zyrtec did not work for him but Zyzal was another and it works not all the time but u have to give to them every day to build up the tollerance and we just dont want him to be on meds for the rest of his life.. the hives dont bother him - they just look awful and dont affect his breathing.. :) goood luck..

mom2cindylouwho
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Quoting Audra209:

We have the same prob with our son.. he breaks out in hives out in the sun an we took him to an allergist.. and he was not allergic to anything but peanut oil or omg. i forgot.. but they said he passed all the outdoor allergies.. but if we go for a bike ride or anywhere - he breaks out in hives all over and they said he will grow out of it - hopefully - well that was a couple of years ago.. he is 3 but still a hive boy big time.. We did put him on Benadryl.. but did not like the sleepy all the time and zyrtec did not work for him but Zyzal was another and it works not all the time but u have to give to them every day to build up the tollerance and we just dont want him to be on meds for the rest of his life.. the hives dont bother him - they just look awful and dont affect his breathing.. :) goood luck..

Yeah, DD isn't allergic to anything.  I really hope this is something she grows OUT of and not something she's grown INTO.  She's spent all but her first 3 months of life in the deep South (military), but last year, late Summer, was the first time this happened.  It's not effecting her breathing either, but the welts are HUGE (one welt covered her entire upper leg) and she wanted to scratch all day long.  Poor thing.

Serenitymom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I get hives from dust mites... what my parents did for me was just consistantly put on anti-itch creme and allergy meds... although I had to pretty much wait it outside of that...

I'm allergic to them in large doses

countrygirlkat
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I am not sure.  The only hives I have experience with are food allergy based.  Here is a bump though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)