Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

summer curriculum/kindergarten 5yr old.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

im looking for something  i can do with my son during the summer so he does not forget everything learned in pre-k. will be in kindergarten in the fall. i also want him to stay active and have fun so he does not just sit and watch tv all day. we can swim when ever we want but  i want him to learn things too. any ideas would be wonderful. or websites.

Heather aka Txmommy23butterfly

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Do you go to the local library?   Perhaps ask his preschool for worksheets that he could work on during summer.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM

we use workbooks that are age appropriate.  also I have picked a few things that we are going to work on with my daughter this summer like tieing her shoes, learning her full address, & phone number things like that

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Last summer before kidnergarten we got books from the library---kidnergarten readiness, walmart K-1 activity work books and kept up with our nightly reading.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

oops sorry bout the caps. Maybe you could come up with some sort of educational pool game too. Like get those foam letters,throw thdem around the pool then call out a letter and he has to swim and get the letter you called. You could do numbers and shapes and even colors too.

to help my son remember our address and telephone number I always just ask him at random times of the day "hey nick what our phone number?" and he has to tell me as fast as he can.

Also they sell all kinds of workbooks at the dollar tree,my son LOVES doing them, could careless that they are actually schoolwork lol.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Another fun game is to do a letter search...Have him go out and try to find things in nature that are shaped like letters. You'll most likely get alot of Y's. But it s a great game cause its fun,they get outside,its still learning and its using imiganation!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM

My son will be starting kindergarten this coming August and I know he is ready. After his pre-screening I recieved a monthly schedule on what to work on for kindergarten. We started doing these early.Here it is;

June 1-Have your child say his/her whole name

June 2-Have your child say his/her parent's name

June 3-Have your child say the alphabet, not sing it.

June 4-Have your child say his/her telephone number.

June 7-Draw yourself. Write your name.

June 8-Count to at least 10

June 9-Talk about using good manners. Pratice greetings

June 11 Have your child hop on one foot and count as he/she hops

June 14-Look around your home for things that are red.

June 15-Count to ten. Now find 10 objects and touch each as you count.

June 16-Pratice sitting on your bottom while listening to a story for 3-5 mins.

June 17-Ask your child some questions using the words, who, what, where, when.

June 18-Have child write his/her first name. Use captial letter first then lower case letters.

June 21-Take a walk outside and look for blue and green things in your yard.

June 22-Sort and count your spoons and fork. Talk about sets. Which has more? Which has less?

June 23-Look at a favorite book or magazine to find things that are green. How many did you see?

June 24-Give your child some directions. Like say Simon says.

June 25-Go on a "Number hunt" around your house. What numbers did they find?

June 28-Write your name and numbers 0-10 on a sheet of paper.

June 29-Read a book to your child. Move your fingers under the words. Show left to right.

June 30-Talk with your child about some fun things you did when you were in school.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM

We love Jumpstart, Letter of the Week, we use zoo visits, muesems and any other family outing as a stimulating learning adventure. Utilize workbooks from The Dollar Store or Walmart for car rides, have him help prepare yummy meals and Summery snacks. Learning can be done in so many ways.

by Robyn on May. 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM

DS's pre-school sent home an activity book for summer review. Maybe your school could provide something like that...?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM

For the month of July:

July 1-Go to a local library. Check out some books. Read with your child.

July 2-Count to 20. Have your child clap while counting to 20.

July 5-Play follow the leader. Have you child copy what you do, then let him/her be the leader.

July 6-Cut numbers out of a magazine. Create a picture using those nubmers.

July 7-Practice throwing and catching a ball. Count as you catch.

July 8-Say the days of the week. Start with Sunday.

July 9-Talk about ways to be safe, whild riding in a car or bus.

July 12-Find 10-20 toys and sort them by color.

July 13-Draw a picture using three different colors. Talk about what you drew.

July 14-Find 3 sticks. Put them in order from shortest to longest.

July 15-Write you name and count to 20.

July 16-Practice sitting still on your bottom while listening to a story for 3-5 mins.

July 19-Talk about your favorite birthday. Draw a cake with the same number of candles as you are now.

July 20-Talk about transportation. How will your child get to and from school? Say the name of your school.

July 21-Practice tying your shoes. Learn how to tie a bow.5

July 22-Practice good toileting habits, wash hands, pull up and fasten own clothes.

July 23-Write numbers 0-5 and touch each as you count it.

July 26-Have someone put things in a bag. Reach in, feel and guess what is in the bag. Take them out and check.

July 27-Look for shapes in books or magazines. Find at least 2 of each; triangle, rectangle, and circle.

July 28-Say your whole name and telephone number.

July 29-Say the days of the week.

July 30-Draw a picture that starts that same as the first letter in your first name.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Hi Heather,

I am not sure what teacher supply store you have in the area but there are lots of summer bridge activities that you can purchase to prepare him for K. In reality, what you should be reinforcing are letter names, sounds (phonics) and counting.. Maybe even some colors, basic addition (with pictures), etc.

Hope this helps! I've only taught 1st grade but my son is in Pre-K and that is what he did this year...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)