Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Some Help With Potty Training

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM
  • 6 Replies

OK so we are trying again for the 2nd time potty training our son, and he'll use the potty but when i put him in reg. underwear he wont use the potty. I should have never used the pull ups bc now he doesnt try to use the potty in regular undies he'd rather just pee in them. Sorry TMI I really need some help!  Is there anything I can do? Need some much needed suggestions!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bhwrn1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Use a timer and take him every 30 minutes. Give him rewards when he does stay dry.

annettenikole
by on May. 25, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I used a book called "potty train in less then a day"... worked great!  My sisters have used it on 4 kids between them now... all trained in a day for the most part (a few accidents here and there after... but mostly dry)  My DD has a kidney problem, so it took a little longer, but after a week she really only had accidents when something super exciting was going on and she was very distracted.  The best part is it teaches them to do everything themselves... so no telling them to go (which wouldn't have worked with mine anyway)

MommySwiggles
by Member on May. 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM

read my journal.  My son got pee training down in 3 days and poop in about 3 weeks.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1596404/Potty_training_my_2_5yo_boy

Mary229
by on May. 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Pull-ups are no good.  My DS figured out that they are no different than a diaper.  He didn't go to the potty because he didn't have to.  I had major issues because the sitter I had at the time refused to let him come to her house in regular underwear.  Fearing he would never be trained I changed sitters two weeks before his third birthday.  I took the pull-ups away on a Saturday.  He had accidents the first day.  But when he did go on the potty I gave him a Starburst.  The first day was the worst.  By the second day he pretty much had the hang of it.  After we got through the first week, he was completely day trained.  Night training took a bit longer because he's a heavy sleeper, but by 3 1/2 he was completely done with diapers and pull-ups.

Oh, and I think it was about 4-6 weeks that I kept up with the treats.  It was a good reminder for him to go in the beginning.  But it didn't take long and he stopped asking for the treats afterward.

jesussaves15205
by on May. 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Hey there, I have 3 year old twins that were potty trained completely. Then we moved. i put pull ups on them and they would not pee in them but would pee in regular underwear. So we had to start at the beginning again. I got rid of the pull ups completely. Even at night. Put a matress pad (one that is plastic and zips up. Then you can just wash it off when needed. You will be up changing a bed at night I promise. I just kept encouraging the twins to use the potty. After MANY accidents (day and night ) they are finally trained. You just have to stick with it. Do like I did and still do (just in case) and fill a diaper bag with a few changes of clothes,and a plastic bag to put soiled clothes in. He will eventually catch on just be patient. I know you can do it with one cause i did it with two. Don't give up! I hope this has helped you a little. Take care and God Bless!

dqsmami06
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Thanks so much ladies! Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention that my son was also 3! Its alot harder & even his speech teacher told me so bc he has a speech delay and doesnt know how to talk to give us hints, but we are working with signals! I started up a Rewards chart bc we are also trying to get into a habit of grooming himself every day! So far he is completely out of Pull Ups & only in underwear and he likes the little boy boxers. He hasnt wet the bed & he gets up at night time to use the potty! We are so proud of him! lol I even started crying cus I was so proud lol! I like the idea of keeping an extra bag with us to keep soiled clothes! Thanks Alot for all your help mamas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)