Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM
  • 24 Replies

my daughter is 3 and shes still not using the potty that much at times she wqill do so good then stops i think she gets lazy. the sticker trick dont work lol anyone have any ideas on how to jump start this thing and is anyone else in my sitution and what u trying to do with it?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblufrog
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM

We haven't done rewards with DD, but what was your sticker trick? When I did preschool it was 1 sticker for good deed (peeing in your case) after 10 they got a small prize from a box. It seemed to work great. Maybe she was getting bored of stickers?

katieschroeder
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM

We tried EVERYTHING too!  We basically 'forced' him.  We took a 4 day weekend and put him in underware and refused diapers.  It took until the end of day 2 before he went poop.  Then he went again on day 4 and has done it every day since.  There was some serious tantrums, but we didn't give in.  We wouldn't leave the house until he went potty on his own and then we'd go right to the park or something and would come home until he pottied again, etc.  This is also based on the fact that I knew he could do it, it was that he wouldn't.  This was a last resort, but it worked for us!

kandi2100
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM

see thats kaylee i know that she can do it cuz she would do it soo good for like a month straight or something and then all of a sudden she would stop. when she got sick i put pullups back on her and she had really bad diahrrea so i was ok with that cuz she couldnt stop that but it seems like after that she dont really want too anymore. the sticker trick was that we would give her stickers when she went potty or treats or something like that but that didtn work for too long were basically havin to force her too now and i do put pullups on her cuz shes def not ready for undies yet i tried that too but when she peed in them she wouldnt say anything ugh wished there was just a magic wound for this potty thing lol.

Jasperiah18
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Same, tried everything! But I think there was a lack of committment on both sides. So today we put our 2.5 yr old in underwear and brought him to the potty every 30 mins whether he liked it or not. It came down to either go potty or go on time out depending on how big of a tantrum. Today he only had one accident and was totally dry after his nap too!!! I hate being harsh...but this is my last resort!!!

Quoting katieschroeder:

We tried EVERYTHING too!  We basically 'forced' him.  We took a 4 day weekend and put him in underware and refused diapers.  It took until the end of day 2 before he went poop.  Then he went again on day 4 and has done it every day since.  There was some serious tantrums, but we didn't give in.  We wouldn't leave the house until he went potty on his own and then we'd go right to the park or something and would come home until he pottied again, etc.  This is also based on the fact that I knew he could do it, it was that he wouldn't.  This was a last resort, but it worked for us!

TristansMom440
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Wish I had an answer for you. Here's a bump!!  My DS will be 3 in Aug and I still can't get him to go potty.  He WILL however,   hold it longer if he is in regular underwear.  The pull-ups, he could care less and pees just like it's a diaper.

NDNichol
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM

We have been doing rewards and my son is doing great. We were having the exact same problem you were! I went to walmart and bought a gift bag. Then I went down the party supply aisle and the cheap toy aisle. I got glow sticks, cars, crayons and color book, beadded necklaces, play money, etc. If stays clean and dry in his big boy underwear then before nap time he get to choose a prize. Then if he stays dry from after nap until bed time he gets to choose another. We were just choosing at the end of the day but it didn't work as well, so I decided to try a smaller time frame. The enitre bag of toys was less then one package of diapers! Good luck!!!

kandi2100
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

yeah it gets soo frustrating because i know its just mainly her being lazy il tell her to go to the potty and shes like nah i dont want too and im telling her yes there is no choice ur a big girl u need to use the potty now exspecially cuz i wanna get her into school and stuff but its soo hard it seems like its taking forever i mean i know that i can work with her more throughout the day but i also have a 7 month old and work full time so im pretty wiped out lol... not tryin to use it as an exsuce but it is true and shes been taught and she knows cuz like i said before she was doin great now she barely goes at all ugh!

katieschroeder
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I've also heard from others to stop offering any rewards.  Some children will stop responding to potty training when they tire of the rewards.  They say to just to treat them normal when they go potty.  Sort of a "good job, now put your undies back on" and leave it at that.  When they have an accident, treat it just as acceptable, except have her change her clothes and rinse her dirty undies.  "Oops, go ahead and get changed..."  This is just a theory since it didn't work this way for us :) but it does sort of make sense for some of our little ones' personalities.

katieschroeder
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I need to mention that my son had just turned 4 at the time.  He was beyond an acceptable age to be in diapers, so I felt like it had to be done, no matter what!  I was very modivated and I was able to spend the whole long weekend at home with no other interuptions.  I completely understand that not everyone can do that, especially with another little one at home. 

kandi2100
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM

thanks for the reply yeah i mean i dont really give her rewards or treats only when i have them around really lol i usually just tell her good job baby girl or thats my big girl and shes proud of her self but then like a few hrs late or the rest of the day she will go in her pullup

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)