Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my toddler to try different foods?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

I need some help with getting my son to try different foods. He seems to only wanna eat the same things, like for breakfast its french toast sticks, waffles, or cereal. for lunch and dinner its really only between grilled cheese or chicken nuggets. when i try to introduce something else to the menu or have him eat whatever my husband and i eat he throws a fit and would rather let himself starve. i dont know how to fix this but it really bothers me that he doesnt eat healthy at all. he wont touch any vegetables and i can rarely get him to eat fruit. please help!!! any recipe ideas or how to get him to try things?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TristansMom440
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM

BUMP!  I'm in the same boat!

eema.gray
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Does he eat with you?  Does he see you and your husband eating the same foods you're asking him to eat?  How often do y'all eat as a family?

Statistically, if the answers to all three questions is yes, it's easier to get kids to try new foods.

Is there a way he can safely help you with meals?  Kids who help prepare meals are more interested in eating them

Get him involved in shopping for food too.  If he picks out a fruit or veg, he's more likely to want to eat it at the table.

You might try offering fresh fruits and veg as snacks at first, something he can grab and take with him might seem less intimidating to him.

Then there are the sneaky ways, lol.  Cauliflower can be cooked soft, pureed, and blended into cream sauces.  All kinds of stuff can be snuck into a tomato sauce.  Sometimes, I grate beets or carrots and mix them into pancake batter.  My son just thinks he's getting funky colored pancakes.  :-D

Will he eat yogurt?  You can get a lot of fruits and veggies into a yogurt smoothie.

PsychMommie
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM

What I do is make one thing that my DD likes and then the rest is vegey, main dish. Then my DD gets on serving of everything she has to try everything on her plate to get a second serving of her prefered food and if she isn't satisfied after the second serving well she can finish the other items. Then I serve items she does not "like" over and over (not in a row) because it can take up to ten trys for someones palate to get acclimated.

PsychMommie
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Oh yeah and even if I don't like something I always have a couple bites and I never say something is not good. If I refuse to eat something so does my DD.

laurag8707
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Im stuck in the same boat as you my son is a chicken nugget addict lol!! I have realized one way is to not let him up from the table till he has at least tried what is on his plate. He is very stubborn like me so eventually after a while he caves and sometimes he enjoys what he is eating and asks me for some more, and sometimes he looks at me like I am crazy and spits it out. Which is completely fine with me also at least I can say I got him to try it you know?

Alabamachick
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:12 AM

when you figure it out let me know. my step daughter won't eat much more than chicken french fries waffles ceral ice cream

bhwrn1
by on May. 25, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Dress things up: ants on a log (celery with peanut butter and raisins), sauces to dip veggies, cheese sauce over veggies. And try different forms of things: ziti, penne, pastina, etc. I have one kid who eats nothing and the other eats everything. I tell the older one that he has to at least try something a few times before he tells me he doesn't like it.

Tatumsmommy0123
by on May. 25, 2010 at 8:27 AM

i'm in the same boat.  She wants waffles for breakfast, chicken nuggets for lunch, and pizza or sandwich for dinner.

ejhsmhtmh1027
by on May. 25, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Im in the same boat too... my daughter is very picky... I have found one thing that works sometimes... I use colored  toothpicks and make little fruit skewers... or whatever we are eating...and its the only way i can get her to eat any meat...

mrsroscoe26
by on May. 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I tell my daughter her boobies will get big like mommies!! LOL, hey it works she loves eating veggies and fruits and the good cereal!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)