Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat Troubles!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:15 AM
  • 16 Replies

My ds is 2 1/2 yrs old, but small for his age. He only weighs 27 lbs and is 30". We have him in a Graco carseat, but we can't get him to safely stay in the darn thing. He is always undoing the buckle that attaches across the chest (the plastic one) and pushing his arms through where he is only protected by the lap buckle, but no harness. We can't be the only parents in America who have had this problem. We went and looked at new carseats, but ALL the ones we saw, even the high-end ones had a plastic "buckle" across the chest part. He will be able to get that undone and his arms out easily. Don't they make ones where the chest buckle is metal clips like the lap ones? There has to be a solution. I can't continue to let him not be in his harness and he is not legally able (nor would I consider yet) to ride in a booster seat. Please help!

I tried adding a pic of what I am talking about, but it doesn't seem to be working. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM

This reply is not to be taken in a rude way at all, just advice.

Most Graco Car Seats the clips are very easy for a child to undo, and whenever I see this questions (which is a lot) usually the car seat is a Graco of some sort... So you are not alone.

Make sure the straps are snug as a hug (meaning no slack in them at all) and this may help deter him from sliding his arms out for the moment.

The bigger issue is not the car seat, your son is at the age to understand NOT to do that at all.  If that means EVERY time he starts to un-do the clip pull over and clip it back an tell him NO that is is very unsafe - in a stern voice.  You can even have a talk with him as well.  It really is a discipline issue.  You should not have to go out an buy a new car seat. 

ETA:  You can also try the back side of velcro and attach to the chest clip.  A lot of kids do not like the feeling of it.

Photobucket

pbjculley
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Nope you aren't alone... When I had a Graco MR65 my (at the time) just turned 2 yr old would unbuckle the chest clip ALL the time and I did just like the PP said, I pulled over EVERYTIME (even on the interstate), I told him no and tapped his fingers, got back in the car and half the time by the time I was rebuckled he had done it again and we had to "rinse & repeat"!!  It worked he stopped doing it... Not long after that though his carseat had an issue w/ the belt that tightens it and they refunded my money (I was beyond thankful!), so now he's still RFing in a Sunshine Kids Radian 80, and he's not able to unbuckle the chest clip (he has tried a few times when we're getting out of the car).... 

Also to help deter from unbuckling, you may want to try giving him some type of small soft toy to play with in the car (and ONLY in the car) so he'll be entertained... or a toddler sing along CD in the car so he doesn't feel "left out", is your DS RFing or FFing?

tcb101897
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

the only quick solution i have which i did with my oldest is take the plastic buckle off and put it back on backwards and it is not as easy to undo. pia for you too but at least he cannot get out.

good luck

La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Quoting tcb101897:

the only quick solution i have which i did with my oldest is take the plastic buckle off and put it back on backwards and it is not as easy to undo. pia for you too but at least he cannot get out.

good luck

This just is not safe. 

If she happens to get in an accident with the chest clip positioned on her son like this it will not protect him like it should and can potentially injure him due to the ridge being pointed towards his chest so the crash force will transfer to the ridge then the ridge will be plowed into his chest... Yeah, it will not be pretty.

Also the chest clip was not designed to be worn like that anyways and since it goes against the manugfacturers guidleine it will void any warranty/liabilty if involved in a car accident.

cudybug
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I will also suggest tightening the straps very snuggly. my 5 year old can undo her clip but there would be way she would be able to get her arms out unless the crotch buckle is undone. Though she doesnt undo her buckle unless we are at our destination. I have heard on the carseat board about some putting the scratchy side of velcro on the clip. It keeps the child from touching it since they dont like the way it feels.

mybabytristan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM
i dont know where you live but here in ohio we have a program called safe kids and they have devices for just such purposes i would research that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kida-Beth
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I don't know what kind you have but we have the Graco Nautilus and it's hard for me to undo sometimes.  I know that Griffin can't get out of that kind, because he's tried before and just gives up after so long. 

MamaPeanut
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Exactly this.  :)

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

This reply is not to be taken in a rude way at all, just advice.

Most Graco Car Seats the clips are very easy for a child to undo, and whenever I see this questions (which is a lot) usually the car seat is a Graco of some sort... So you are not alone.

Make sure the straps are snug as a hug (meaning no slack in them at all) and this may help deter him from sliding his arms out for the moment.

The bigger issue is not the car seat, your son is at the age to understand NOT to do that at all.  If that means EVERY time he starts to un-do the clip pull over and clip it back an tell him NO that is is very unsafe - in a stern voice.  You can even have a talk with him as well.  It really is a discipline issue.  You should not have to go out an buy a new car seat. 

ETA:  You can also try the back side of velcro and attach to the chest clip.  A lot of kids do not like the feeling of it.

dellywelly
by on May. 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM
The first time he undid his buckle I told him that if he ever did that again he would be in big trouble and it was very dangerous. He never did it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathryn29
by on May. 28, 2010 at 8:49 AM

my daughter does this also.....I am trying to find some sort of replacement piece or something....if I track one down i will let you know

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)