Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Is $250 too much? PLZ READ POLL INCLUDED (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Is $250 to much for babysitting 2 kids for 7-9 days straight?

Options:

Yes

No

Shouldn't charge family

Other (b/c there's always an "other") plz explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 87

View Results

My stepmom asked if I would sit my neice & nephew for 7-9 days & how much would I charge. Ages are 3 (not potty trained) & 5yrs. Im not sure what would be reasonable. When my stepmom babysit for me so i could work, she charged me $75 a wk for 1 toddler; then went up to $100 when I got a raise.

I have 2 children of my own (ages 3 & 5) and I also babysit a 16month old during the day. My niece & nephew would be staying the night here also. So thats 3 meals, snacks, baths, etc.

So what would you charge if you were in my position?

(this is not for any kind of emergency or vacation. its so they can go sell hairbows & a local university tournament)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Not sure about this. I would not charge family. But if that is the norm for your family, I would say that $250 is a really good price. If they left them with a regular babsitter, it would be much more than that!

sandraberke
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM

i voted u shouldnt charge family.

eblstanford
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

Not sure about this. I would not charge family. But if that is the norm for your family, I would say that $250 is a really good price. If they left them with a regular babsitter, it would be much more than that!

I have never charged her to babysit when Ive kept them in the past( I generally DONT charge family) , but she asked me b/c they would be here for the entire 7-9 days; I would be feeding them, bathing, they'd be sleeping here,etc. She OFFERED to pay me, I didnt ask.

YuppyMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Definitely not. 

The going rate for periodic sitters is upward of 10 an hour.  So 240 a DAY would be normal.

Being family, if you offered her 100 per day for  the 7 days, 700 for the whole time, you would be giving her a very reasonable rate.  A "real" sitter could cost her well into 1400 plus.

eblstanford
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Quoting YuppyMom:

Definitely not. 

The going rate for periodic sitters is upward of 10 an hour.  So 240 a DAY would be normal.

Being family, if you offered her 100 per day for  the 7 days, 700 for the whole time, you would be giving her a very reasonable rate.  A "real" sitter could cost her well into 1400 plus.

a day? wow....i never thought of that. I was saying $250 for the entire 7-9 days.

WhOabAbY22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

i have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old.

My daycare lady charges me $202 a week (35hours).

Dixietough
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I don't think it's unfair. I went on a load with DH (he's a truck driver) and for 3 days I paid my cousin  $300 to take care of 3 kids. I offered her more, but she was reluctant to take the $300 LOL

Are they going to be bringing snacks from home, their own soap, etc?

eblstanford
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Quoting Dixietough:

I don't think it's unfair. I went on a load with DH (he's a truck driver) and for 3 days I paid my cousin  $300 to take care of 3 kids. I offered her more, but she was reluctant to take the $300 LOL

Are they going to be bringing snacks from home, their own soap, etc?

No. If Im lucky I will be given enough diapers/pullups & wipes for the 3yr old. I will be providing soaps, shampoos, food....etc.

PiscesMommy021
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I think that is a very reasonable price

Bradensmommy719
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

personally i would ask for more. 7-9 days is a long time and i know my son eats a lot and so does my niece and they are 2 and 3. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)