• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pit growling at 2 year old PIOG UPDATED!!!!!!!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • 28 Replies

I had posted about my pit growling at my 2 year old a week ago.Well i have called every shelter and rescue group w/in a 100 mile radius and theyre all full and i have nobody to take him.So i have made an appt. at the vets office to have him euthanized.I have no choice.Hes a 7 year old pit that growls at my son 2 yrs.I also have a 8month old and he growls at me when i disipline him and pees on my kids things which are a sign of aggresion.Now my husband says thats not happening and he has high hopes for the dog.We had a huge fight and my kids are more important and if the dogs not gone saturday then me and my kids are.Its gonna be sad if i lose my marriage over this dog.Im hurt that my husband is letting it get to this he says if i leave thats my desicion and that hurts weve been together for 12 years i just hope everything works out but im not so sure

So my husbands cousin ended up taking the dog he has a little boy boy too but hes only there 4 days out of the month so hes just gonna keep him outside when hes there and worked great for us too cuz we can go see him anytime we want.We also brought home a puppy in his place we didnt want another dog right now but his cousin already had 3 dogs so he said he would take him if we took the puppy.I didnt want to get another pit but i couldnt resist  hes such a good dog.good w/kids,layed back potty trained and just a good dog.Ill post a pic tomarrow!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM

If your husband is this serious about making it work, has he contacted a professional trainer than deals with agressive animals?  I don't agree with killing a dog but I understand you gotta do what you think is best. 

annaluvseric
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

now that im doing something about it hes talkin about it but this has been going on for months so if he wanted to save him he should have done it along time ago

Quoting MissiHampt:

If your husband is this serious about making it work, has he contacted a professional trainer than deals with agressive animals?  I don't agree with killing a dog but I understand you gotta do what you think is best. 

roxy85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

If your husband shows some true effort I would let HIM be the one to make it right. The dog would be outside or kenneled when the husband is gone because I would be fearful the dog would actually do something. Give him a time frame and then the dog as got to go.

FrogSalad
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Yeah, this is a tough one.  Too bad you can't get in touch with Cesar (can't think of his last name right now), the Dog Whisperer guy.

But in the end, your kids have to come first.  It's a horrible decision to have to make but you have to put your kids first.  Good luck to you and your family.

bhwrn1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM

If he wants to keep the dog, he needs to hire a professional trainer to try and change the dogs habits. Otherwise the dog needs to go.

jedi_momma2
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I don't agree with putting the dog down, have you tried craigslist or something like that? Has your dog always been this way towards children? I would say to contact some kind of trainer that way you can say you at least tried everything.  

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I'm so sorry. I agree with you though, there is no way that dog would be around my kids. I hope you're husband comes around, that would be crazy to lose a marriage over a dog :( Good Luck!

Kida-Beth
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Good for you for standing up for your kids.  I hate to hear about a child dying because of a pit or any other large dog..especially when the parents know that there's an agression issue.

And training may be too late for him.  At 7 years he's pretty set in his ways by now and they are already an agressive dog and hard headed at that.  I agree with whoever said to look on Craigslist or listing on some other site or in the paper.  Until then I would put him outside and make sure the kids aren't out there with him.

annaluvseric
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM

his idea of fixing the problem is buying an outdoor kennel and keeping him in it for good.My view is hes in inside dog and thats not right and its summer now and its gonna get hot and you cant keep him outside when its 100 + outside then what are we gonna do?

Quoting roxy85:

If your husband shows some true effort I would let HIM be the one to make it right. The dog would be outside or kenneled when the husband is gone because I would be fearful the dog would actually do something. Give him a time frame and then the dog as got to go.

annaluvseric
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM

thats exactly what i was thinking and he is outside he comes in at night after the kids are in bed and goes back out before they are up.A shelter called last night and took some questions and  said they would be calling back sometime today so hopefully theyll call w/some good news

Quoting Kida-Beth:

Good for you for standing up for your kids.  I hate to hear about a child dying because of a pit or any other large dog..especially when the parents know that there's an agression issue.

And training may be too late for him.  At 7 years he's pretty set in his ways by now and they are already an agressive dog and hard headed at that.  I agree with whoever said to look on Craigslist or listing on some other site or in the paper.  Until then I would put him outside and make sure the kids aren't out there with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)