Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What so you guys think?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Not sure what to call them so i will go with childern leashes, I know that doesnt sound good but not sure what else to call them so you guys would know what i was talking about. My son who just turned 4 in april is to big for a stroller and will not let you hold his had and if you let him walk by himself he trys to run away. We are planning out goin on vacation and i was looking for a way to keep him safe around alot of people and in big places. I have looked at these and i am thinking about getting one. What do you guys think?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FrogSalad
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM

We tried one when DS was younger but he just pulled on the end of it (just like a dog tries to) and it wasn't worth the hassle, imo.  I think they're a good idea if you think your son won't try to escape it.

NDNichol
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 PM

We have one. I havent had to use it because my oldest will keep ahold of my hand and my youngest is still in a stroller. But I have a feeling we will be using A LOT with the youngest. I have a friend that has an autistic child and she used them a lot. I have see some that go on your wrist and then attach to the childs wrist. I say use them if it keeps them safe!!!!!!

mommyof2596
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM

In no way am I trying to be mean or be offensive so please dont take this the wrong way. I really think he is to old for running away. Have you looked at ways to get him to stick by you at all times. Nanny 911 always has suggestions. Not to be mean but instead of worring about a harness maybe you need to worry about how to get him to listen to you and do what you tell him to do and not what he wants to do. Maybe prctice in the park a little each day and if he does not stay by you the immedatly take him home and put him on time out. It worked for my son at the age of 2 and he never walks away from me unless he asks. Good luck.

bhwrn1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I'm not a fan of leashes.

TristansMom440
by on May. 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I understand your dilemma.  My DS would freak out if anybody touched his hand, yet alone hold it.  I used one of the puppy-dog leashes for him.  Not all the time...just for high traffic areas where I was worried I might lose him.  People will give you strange looks....but would you rather your kid get lost, stolen,or hit by a car?  You can do what I did....I kept trying to hold my LO's hand WHILE he was on the leash.  Eventually, he got used to me holding his hand & I took the leash away. 

RobynS
by Robyn on May. 27, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I think you should do what you need to to keep your child safe. Don't worry about what people think.

A friend of mine recommend a monkey back pack. It has a long tail that the parent can hold onto. Looks less like a leash but serves the same purpose.

kj21
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Quoting mommyof2596:

In no way am I trying to be mean or be offensive so please dont take this the wrong way. I really think he is to old for running away. Have you looked at ways to get him to stick by you at all times. Nanny 911 always has suggestions. Not to be mean but instead of worring about a harness maybe you need to worry about how to get him to listen to you and do what you tell him to do and not what he wants to do. Maybe prctice in the park a little each day and if he does not stay by you the immedatly take him home and put him on time out. It worked for my son at the age of 2 and he never walks away from me unless he asks. Good luck.

Its not that he doesnt listen, but if he sees something he likes or want to go look at hes gone and sometimes you may not even realize it at first.

2and2onway
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Not only do they make taking my twins into crowded areas safer, my kids absolutely love them so much we have to hide them or they will take off and play with them. I bought them to go to the zoo with last year and now we use them in crowded places. I feel it gives them an added amount of independence but doesnt put them at harms way of wriggling away from mom or dad.

And just because I have a picture of everything:

kj21
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

See they can stray a little ways aways from u but u still have control of them and see if someone tryed to snach them you would know it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)