Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to encourage going potty

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM
  • 2 Replies

My son is 2 and is interested in the big potty that mommy and daddy use and understands that mommy and daddy go pee pee in the potty and tells us sometimes if he's gone pee pee or poopy in his diaper.  We've been encouraging him by talking about it, books, videos, asking if he has to go or has gone or if he wants to go pee pee in the potty.   But the answer is usually no and if  we try to put him on the potty he flips out.  I don't force him to sit on it because I don't want him to be afraid of it.  A friend of mine said to try the cooling pull ups...has anyone gone this route?  Would switching to pulls instead of diapers help him not want to go in a diaper anymore?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
WesleysMom23
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I am trying to train my almost 3 year old right this minute. I set the timer for every 10 to 15 minutes but he still hasn't peed in the potty. He will sit on it for a bit then get off. Then in between the next time to go on it he pees in his underwear. Just this morning we got up at 7:45. His diaper was completely dry. I put him on the potty and nothing. As I am fixing my coffee I hear him peeing on the floor. So I make him go back on the potty and I clean the mess. Put some clean underwear on and then all of a sudden he pees again. So he goes back on the potty. As he is eating breakfast he peed again. All within 30 minutes. He hasn't gone since. It is very discouraging. His doctor told me that pull ups is the same as diapers. To just use underwear when we are at home. That way he can feel when he pees on himself.

I wish I could be more help. I am in the same boat. My son will be 3 next month so I am hoping he will be trained by then. I wish my husband was home during the day so he can deal with it. lol

utopia5333
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

toss the diapers let him know how it feels to be wet

let him pick out his underwear at the store  let him know how special they are and how he needs to try and keep them clean

for boys dont automatically try to make them pee standing up (some boys learn to stand but sometimes it confusses them when they see mommy always sitting)

Celebrate him using the potty by giving him a treat like stickers , small toy, or even candy like (Dark chocolate) one M & M for peeing two M & M  for pooping...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)