Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions Please!!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

My brother is getting married next month. My soon to be sister-in-law's friend is throwing her a bridal shower and has invited me. I've never been to a bridal shower and have no idea what to get her. I need some suggestions, please ladies!!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

When you call the friend to RSVP, ask if the bride is registered anywhere.  If she's registered, you can go to that store, or that store's website to see what she likes.  For showers, I usually spend $30 for a co-worker, and $50 for a family member, and I purchase an item off the registrly.

lalasmama2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I agree.  See if she is registered somewhere.  If not, ask your brother what they need.  I would also try to get a gift receipt along with whatever you buy so that she can take it back if she doesn't like it. 

4time-mom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Also find out if it's a themed or party shower - sometimes people will throw a Tupperware shower, or Pampered Chef, or something like that - in that case, you're expected to order something from the catalog that the bride wants. If it's a themed shower, you're supposed to get something that fits in the theme - I was thrown a kitchen shower, and all the gifts were things for the kitchen.

TiredbutHappy1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

What I was told is that the bridal shower is for the bride only...kind of like a baby shower. Then, I'm supposed to get a wedding gift for both of them for the wedding. From what a friend told me, you are supposed to get things a bride could use on her wedding night/honeymoon.

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:43 AM

If it's a personal shower, I'd buy some scented lotions / bath products, or a satin nightgown.  Sometimes those types of showers can get a little risque, but that's not my style.  I'd go with something that I wouldn't mind showing to my grandmother.

utopia5333
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I would call whom ever is giving the party to see if she is registered anywhere and if that person is no help get a gift certificate somewhere nice like bed bath and beyond s Target  (avoid walmart if you can)

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Another idea is a bottle of champagne and a couple of champagne flutes.  I went to one personal shower where grandma showed up with a very pretty present.  The bride to be opened it up, and nothing was in it.  Grandma said all she needed to wear was a smile.  It was a very cute moment.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Does she have a gift registry? If not, it's perfectly fine to ask someone what she needs/wants.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Is she registered? I would start there. There is always a gift card. Then she can get whatever she wants.

TiredbutHappy1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies. I appreciate it.  I might get her a nice silk robe...maybe a see through one...and maybe wrap a pair of toy handcuffs in the robe as a joke. LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)