Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! My DS has a potty mouth...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

I will admit, I have had a HORRIBLE potty mouth in the past. I really try not to say *bad* words in front of my son, but sometimes it slips. Well, now his favorite words are "Oh Shit" and "Dammit." I tried ignoring it, thinking he would get bored with saying it if it did not gain any attention... Then I tried telling him not to say those words. Not sure what to do here. He will be 3 on July 1st.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mommy2LnJ
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM

My sons are 3 and around 2.5 got into the 'bad boy' phase. It wasn't curse words, but still I was not going to tolerate them calling each other that or me when I told them no. Nothing worked as far as ignoring it or time outs, so I went to the fridge one day when my son was in time out, yelling bad boy to his brother down the hall... out came the hot sauce. I put a little on my finger and swiped it into his mouth once. I told him we do not say those things to people and you need to apologize. He said he was sorry and I gave him some milk to rinse his mouth out. My other son got hot sauce one time as well, and let me tell you, it has worked. Since having it just one time, neither one says anything bad to anyone now and'bad boy' is no longer in their vocabulary unless they talk about superheroes. If I think they are going to, I bring up the hot sauce and they stop immediately.

It's kind of funny, SO looves hot sauce and when Jake heard him say a bad word, he came over to me and said mommy, D hot sauce in his mouth and I told him you're right and went and put some in SO's mouth and he made a bad reaction to it and I told SO 'we don't say those things' and from the looks on their faces, the boys really understood.

I'm a strong, pro-choice, spanking when needed, put off today what can be done tomorrow, make a fool of myself to make my kids laugh, country music lovin', tattoo addicted, Brett Favre & NY Mets loving SAHM of 3 yr old twin boys. *The tattoo is the mark of the soul. It can act as a window through which we can see inside, or it can be a shield to protect us from those who cannot see past the surface*

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM

you cant really punish him for something he learned from you, now you have to let him know its wrong and mommy was wrong too and stop using the words, once you stop using them and he knows it wrong then you can do a time out for him doing it. Hot sauce is a stupid solution, injuring a kid isnt going to help, and for those that say it does let me put some of my hubbys ghost peppers sauce on YOUR tongue!

FrogSalad
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM

DH and I have really had to mend our potty mouths but sometimes we still slip up.  I've found that ignoring is the best option (and really watch my own language).  If DS won't stop, I will tell him not to use those words, they are grown up words.  Even then, I still try not to say them anyway so he's not getting more reinforcement from me.

dreamybabies
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM

stop saying bad words in front of him.  at that age, kids are sponges and will repeat everything you say.

annettenikole
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Good way to stop swearing is a fine jar!  (for you)  Get your son involved... show him that if you say a bad word you put a dollar in the jar as a fine.  (it's fun to have a little chunck of cash to spend at the end too) Then he knows you are getting "punished" if you say bad words... then if ignoring it for him doesn't work, his fine could be a toy taken away and put in the jar... so it's just like yours.  But really... he won't stop unless you do.

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Idk, good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)