Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No nappers?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

Braden and Sara have not napped in almost a yr. They will be 3 in October. Now that Summer is here they are so hard to handle around dinner time. They are cranky and unless they are really hungry they don't eat most of the time. We do so much more now. They just wont nap at all. Has anyone else dealt with this and how did you handle it?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM

My kids aren't nappers either. Cameron stopped napping at 2 1/2. Katy is 18 months and I'm lucky if I can get her to sleep for an hour in the afternoon. The best you can do is try to get them to bed a little earlier, or let them sleep in a little later.

You can also just make sure to have some 'quiet' time during the day, even if they don't actually nap. Read books, watch a video... something where they're sitting still and being mellow.

FrogSalad
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

We do quiet time, too.  Sometimes Brennan even goes to sleep.  But we only eliminated his nap about 6 months ago - when he was 3.5. 

CoffeeK9
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

My kids are 19 months and 3 years old they dont nap anymore.  They stay awake playing and eating and learning from 8 am till 8pm

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Rest time. They don't have to nap, but have to have quiet time in their rooms or a designated area. They can read books or look at pictures or play quietly with noiseless toys.

annettenikole
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

my DD gave up naps before she was ready (she was just over 2 when she started refusing to nap... she does occasionally, but normally not)  I still make her have an hour of quiet time, reading stories quiety in bed.  Also we had to do an early bed time for a few months before she was ok without a nap.  So I'd suggest moving bed time up!  (right after my DD gave up nap she had a 6 or 6:30 bedtime... now she's ok without nap, so it's 7... she wakes between 7-8)

TristansMom440
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM

I make my DS at least do quiet time in his room.    He usually reads books or plays w/his toys while he's in there.  Every once in a blue moon, I may find him asleep in the middle of the floor, which I think is hilarious since he thinks he doesn't need naps!  LOL  Also, if my DS doesn't nap, I put him to bed a little early or right at bedtime and not a minute past!

mom2cindylouwho
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Cyan(3.5) is still a napper most days, but when she isn't we also implement quiet time.  My own Mom made us do quiet time during the summer ... all the way through my high school years! LOL!  I disliked those 1-2 hours with a passion ... but now that I'M the Mom, I completely understand =)

dreamybabies
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:23 AM

i would instill 'quiet time' in their rooms then a sticker chart/reward system to encourage and reinforce the new routine.  quiet time will often recharge a toddler's battery because even though they don't sleep, the low stimulation will be enough to get through dinner.  allow them to play with some quiet toys, puzzles, books.  don't allow them to watch tv because you want them to relax for your designated quiet time.  tv will only get them worked up.  

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I like the quiet time idea! Mommy wants quiet time too, wonder if my husband can implement this for me lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)