Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad habits

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, so I get that kids pick.  They pick their noses and scabs, and we as their parents discourage that b/c...well, it's gross.

I am having THE biggest problem w/ my 3 yo DD.  She is just like I was, and she loves to pick at her scabs.  She has a few places on the back of her head and will NOT leave them alone.  I'm not sure what to do b/c I know she does it subconsciously.  Again, she's so much like me and I know I used to do it in my sleep, obviously unintentionally. 

I've threatned spanking her, but I haven't followed thru b/c I feel bad...there's no natural consequence (I'm really big on natural consequences before spankings, but I am definitely pro spanking) for picking other than her head will hurt if she keeps it up.  The other day I was combing her hair and the comb got caught on her scab, but that only happens occassionally.  Unfortunately it's not like kids who suck their thumbs and parents can put hot sause on it to deter them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.  Thanks!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kim24kids
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM

BUMP!

ddhb2007
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM
My daughter picks at her scabs too. I guess I would never consider it a spankable offense. We've been explaining to her that she can get scars or an infection from them. My husband has shown her his scars, so she knows that they're not very pretty. We also cover them with bandaids when we can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vinsmomma
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I dont know my only suggestion would be to use bandaids.. or maybe if youtry to keep them gooey with neosporin it would be more difficult to scratch?

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Keep her nails short. That way she can't pick as well.

Have you asked the doc about it?

aj_frizzell
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Thanks all.  I have thought about talking to the doc about it.  We've got a great nurse practicioner that we see and she'd be happy to talk to Ava about it.  Perhaps that's all she would need.

LOL, Band-Aids are funny....not to be mean, b/c to a normal 3 yo, that would be fine.  However, to my 3 yo they're a torture device!  =)   She's absolutely terrified of them, and we even have pricess ones and she LOVES the Disney Princesses!  What a weird kid =)

mama2twins07
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:18 AM

my boys were peeling the paint off the wall litterly. But... it was peeling anyways.

curveymama
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM

BUMP!

AlexDakotasMom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM
If you say you did as a child, I don't know if anything said can stop it since its prolly involuntary to her...id say talk with a doc bout what are options now to help with it...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meltingcrayon
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:50 AM

...I WAS eating pizza....not anymore though... lol

Photobucket

KylesMom409
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 5:44 AM

I wish I had helpful advice but here's a BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)