Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats your parenting style?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I'm having problems with my four year old son who has had many changes in his life lately ,he is having huge fits, I want to know what some of the other mothers in this group do when their child is having a fit??

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicole_2007
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I take Paige to the bed room shut off the light and make her lay there in bed till she stops throwing her fit.  It works great for her.  She doesn't throw many fits anymore

raegansmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Time out works best for us.  We do the Supernanny meathod.  I have not had to deal with many fits from DD.  I also pick my battles, if it is not something that is going to hurt them or anyone else (within reason) I usually just let it go.

ballerina.2006
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM
My kids know they are not allowed to throw their fits in the main area/s of the house (we have an open living room/dining/kitchen). With my youngest I also show him why he is getting in trouble. Ie he like to bite. So I gently bite him back so he knows that it hurts to BITE.

My mil has told me since I've known here to speak soft when you're in a fight. This works very well with kids to. We have a tendecy to raise our voices over their screams. If we speak softly and lovingly then they will start to calm down so they can listen. And ALWAYS bend over/squat down/get on their level. Do not use your height to empower you. Also by squating/bending it makes it harder to yell!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Walk away, and ignore it. They want an audience. Around 2, my daughter was a tantrum throwing stalker. I'd walk into the kitchen, and she'd follow me. I'd go to the living room, and she would follow to continue her tantrum. Now that she's 3, we don't have them as often. Also, make sure you don't give into them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Well, we're spankers. So if you arent probably dont read on. LOL
For us it depends on the tantrum and the situation. Sometimes it just means it's night-night time and that's it. No questions asked.
Sometimes we will get down on his eye level, and explain quietly that "I know you want it, and I'm sorry that you cant have it, but we dont behave this way. You have to calm down or i'm going to have to spank you." If he doesnt he gets two swats on his thigh. At this poing crying is permitted, tantrums still not. If he's still kicking and screaming, he has to sit on the couch until he's calm, and then we talk about it. He has to tell me he's sorry before he can get down.
Sometimes (If it's not full blown) time-out works. "Dylan, you need to go sit in your chair in your room until you can calm down. It's not okay to behave this way. We dont kick (or hit or whatever it is that's making it a tantrum.)" Once he's calm I go in his room so we can talk.

CJessB1007
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I usually just let DS have the fit, I just walk away and once he realizes that no one is paying attention to him he stops. I of course make sure he is in a safe place to throw a fit, if we are at the store we just leave (which makes him wonder why and that stops him from having a fit). I've tried time outs but that didn't work. Every parenting style is different.

jessarendt22
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM

honestly its most likely his way of getting his emotions out , and dealing with all of the changes in his life recently. So I would help him find a way to channel his emotions into something else , and just talk to him ask him whats bothering him and try to come to some sort of a compromise or solution.

justanotherjen
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Depends on what the fit is about.  Usually I just ignore them but if they continue to carry on I make them go to their room and throw a fit in there where I don't have to listen to it.

I have a child with a behavior problem so it's an every day thing.  She'll be 10 in 2 weeks and thows tantrums worse then a 2yo.  It gets old really quick.  She can scream all she wants...in her room with the door closed but if I hear things being thrown she (any of the kids actually) get spanked.

WhitleyLyles
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Natural and Logical Consequences- a punishment that logically fits the misbehavior is my style.

As for the fits--I very calmly say to my dd "When you are done I will talk to you." I dont acknowledge her when she is throwing a fit.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I make sure they are safe and ignore. Once they calm down, I talk to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)