Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When can he wear undies to bed?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM
  • 23 Replies

We've been struggling to potty train DS. I never force him to go, but it got to the point where he is getting ready to turn 3. He just goes when he wants to. So I stopped letting him wear pull ups. I told him only underwear, if he does not like how they feel wet then he should pee in the potty. That was a week ago. He is now 100% dry all day long. Except he won't poop in the potty, he has constipation issues though and is on medicine for it, so that will come in time. He is dry after a nap, but that is only a couple hours. He does not want to wear pull ups to bed. He sleeps in our bed most of the time and I REALLY do not want to wake up in pee, so I told him just for night time he has to wear pull ups. How long after they are potty trained do kids usually stay dry at night? We can go all over town, visit people, to the park, wherever, and he does not pee his pants. Just at night when he is sleeping, but I'm sure that is normal!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

My first son potty trained at 3 for daytime, but was unable to stay dry at night until almost 5 and a half. 

My second son potty trained at 2 and a half, and stayed dry day and night right from the get go.

Each kid is different. If he's waking up in the mornings and is dry, even with the pull up on, than it should be ok to let him go to bed in undies. There will be the occasional accident though. 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Damned near lost my mind the night I came home from a late PTA meeting to find that Honey had put the boy to bed in underwear!  Why in the good grief would he do that ??!!   Boy'd been in undies during the day for weeks, but I'd never risked it at night.  Turned out that he woke up dry and has been waking up dry ever since.  Sorry, Honey!

You could tell him not to get the bed wet and see what happens.  Maybe put a plastic sheet on under the fitted sheet the first few nights just in case.

Good Luck!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:18 PM

We let Alex sleep in pull ups for about a week or two after he was first "all the way" potty trained, shortly after he turned 3. Peeing was part of the bedtime routine, then I'd take him to pee when I went to bed a few hours later.  DH would then take him to pee as soon when his alarm went off around 6 or 7.  We had a few accidents, but now, as long as he pees late in the evening (11 or 12 or so) he's fine and will take himself to pee in the morning.

Alex's bed has a waterproof cover over it, and for our bed (since he comes in there pretty much every night) I put those fleecy waterproof pads (plastic on one side, fleece on the other) under our sheets in the area where he usually slept.  Those things have been a life saver!  With them under the sheet we can't even tell they're there, but when there's an accident, we just strip the bed, throw everything in the washer, put on new sheets, and can go back to bed without a worry :)

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:19 AM

I always waited until they woke up dry for at least a week straight.

My son still wets the bed at almost 9 so...  He stopped wearing pull ups at almost 7 on his own accord but still has accidents.  My 7yo daughter still wears them since she wets the bed, too.

My oldest was staying dry at night looooong before she was day trained and my youngest stopped wearing pull-ups at night a week after she was day trained at 2 1/2 and has never wet the bed.

I'm so tired of bed wetting.  I was so happy my youngest was easy to potty train and stayed dry at night because I didn't think I could deal with another one.

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 6:04 AM

Hard to say. Every child is different. Is his pull up dry all night long, or does he wake up wet? For us, we just took the leap with my 3 1/2 y/o and put him to bed in undies one night. He woke up dry. He has had a few accidents, but stays dry for the most part. We have to limit his fluid about an hour before bed. The only way you will know is if you try it out.

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Stop letting him drink three hours before bed (we stop after dinner.) Then have him go pee before your bed time routine starts then again after you've done your routine and he's ready to climb into bed. My kids hardly ever wet the bed from day one of potty training and this is the method we use. Good luck!

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I'm not sure there is a 'normal' here. There is a huge range. With most of my kids, I just kept them in diapers/pullups overnight until they were pretty consistently dry in the morning. My now 5 year old daughter was very resistant to this and wanted to be totally done with diapers, so I put a towel under her sheets to change daily if needed to keep the mattress from getting ruined. She was pretty quick about it and only had a couple accidents.

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM

My daughter is 3 and has been fully potty trained since 2.5. She wakes up dry every once in a while, and last week she woke up dry 4 days in a row. I have yet to go to undies yet, but I am thinking about it. Every child is different though. I would agree to stop liquids from dinner on, and make sure he goes potty before bed. Maybe taking him to the potty again before you go to bed might help too.

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM

This is all helpful to me too, thanks. My daughter is 3 and is staying dry during the day now.. but I still put on a pull up for naptime and bedtime. Nap she tends to stay dry, or you can tell she peed once, so we'll be phasing those out soon for naptime. Bedtime is a whole other story though. SHE wants to wear undies to bed, and I hate telling her no when she's so interested, but she wakes up with a very full pull up and is a hard sleeper! I hate to wake her in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, because then we end up with it taking her a while to go back to sleep and she just sleeps longer in the morning then... So I am not sure she's ready for that. I will try limiting the fluids after dinner MUCH more than I have.

I can see where one problem is going to be though..She is very attached to taking a sippy of water to bed with her.. she drinks it during story time but then it's still virtually full in the morning so I know she doesn't wake up and drink it often, if at all... Perhaps since she is so interested in doing undies at bed I could try telling her she has to give up the bedtime sippy of water in exchange for working towards the undies? Or maybe she can't have it until AFTER story is over and she's off to bed.. because at that point she maybe takes one sip before she dozes off... hmm.. any suggestions there?

We also have yet to venture FAR without a pull up on in the car. I want to try this but could use some tips for the first few outings in undies please...

thanks .. this is really helpful to have other moms to ask!

by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM

IMO it is confusing to him to put him in pull ups at night. My dd will be 3 at the end of Sept. and about 4-6 weeks ago I got sick of 1. buying pull ups and 2. her thinking they were diapers and peeing them all day and night long. So, I put her in panties..she sleeps in my bed too...and she has only started to pee 2x..then said I think I'm peeing and ran to the potty. Also, for the 1st couple of weeks I put a thick, folded sheet under her so just in case or if you have the waterproof lap pads for diaper changing those are perfect too. That way if there is an accident you won't be soaked in pee too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)