• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eater

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so i have a toddler who will be 3 in July...

He refuses to eat anything bread or potato and i know that sounds wonderful a child that doesnt eat starch and stuff but i have a hard time finding things he will eat

He wont eat: Sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, toast, bread, french toast, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, anything bread or potato with the exception of fries, hashbrowns, and pizza<<bread

He loves tortillas and pastas and rice but he easily gets tired of that and i always make sure its wheat products so if he eats it its good for him but literally for breakfast he will only eat bacon or sausage, sometimes cereal

Lunch is anything i can find that he will eat that  is decent for him such as yogurt or if he will eat fruit or cheese

and dinner his main veggie is corn and his main meat is chicken but other than that he is very picky

he wil literally go the whole day without eating if he cant find something that he wants.  and he will try and sub his empty feeling with milk which he is only limited to 2- 3 glasses a day.

any ideas to get him to eat atleast a sandwich or lil trick you have learned to get ur child to eat something....

thanks ppl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Put things in pasta. Change it up. Use different pastas. I like to use: pastina, orzo, penne, alphabets, tubitini, fussili. Then I add meat (usually chicken) and veggies, maybe some cheese. Does he eat fruit? Cut up apples, pears and serve with cheese. Does he like dips? You can try using ranch dressing for him to dip things in to get him to eat more veggies. How about yogurt? You can get plain or vanilla and mix lots of stuff into it and it's still yummy.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Does he like mac and cheese? I have a friend who often adds veggies and meat to that.

jessicaquinn
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

My son used to be super picky too, but this summer  we've been around my friends older kids and he watches them eat.  He wants to eat like the big boys and he copies them.  Maybe you could arrange some times where he can be around other kids that eat well and maybe he'll pick up on better eating habits. 

Tata_Lynn
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

those seem like really good ideas. ya he likes yogurts and stuff but no joke literally every time i give him anything to dip with he never eats it and he will onlyh eat fruit once in a blue moon he either loves it one day and then the next acts like its the most discusting thing he has ever seen...lol crazy kid. Ill try mixin up the pasta choices more and i too try and use chicken in dishes especially with noodles.

its funny for a kid that loves pasta he wont eat mac and cheese so ill just have to experimennt more

thanks for the advice

annettenikole
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM

try differnt ways to prepare pasta... different sauces, add veggies, herbs, etc.  Also, great lunch idea... if he likes tortillas then make a wrap instead of a sandwich... my DD wanting nothing but wraps for a long time!  I put turkey or ham or whatever I have in it!  And quesadillas are GREAT!  And it's super easy to hide things in there... the melty cheese, if it's chopped well they won't know what's in it :-)  I add spinich, beans, different meats to it... a friend of mine hides carrots in hers shreaded up.  And my DD loves to dip it in salsa... I make my own so it's really just chuncks of tomato with a few other things... she piles the tomatos up on her food! 

ErinHill226
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Sometimes I make dd smoothies and she loves those. You can put spinach or Kale or another green in there and you can't taste it at all. Don't add much milk or other liquids so it's very thick and tell him it's "green ice cream." Just a little raw sugar will make it sweet, or you can make it sweet using just a touch of juice (pineapple or carrot is my fave...but apple or something would work also.) I also just try and get dd to eat something new each day, and if she tastes it and doesn't like it, I let it go and try something else the next time. She also loves raw veggies but not cooked...Oh, and every now and then if I tell her NOT to eat something, it makes her want to. So I sit a carrot or apple down and tell her she'd better not touch it...and then of course she wants to...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)