Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone let 2 1/2 yr old give up naps?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM
  • 41 Replies

My DD is impossible to put to sleep at night.  She will go to bed.  We do the routine every night but she just flops forever.  Sometimes until 11 or 12 and gets up at 6/7.  She goes down great for naps, same routine as bedtime.  I've tried waking her after a little but she is so cranky!  I am hoping no nap will let her sleep longer at night.  This seems counter to anything I've ever heard but I don't know what else to try.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
m0m2x
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I would skip the nap if it was my situation.  My son, now 4, stopped taking naps at 2 yrs, but I always put him to bed early, 8 pm. 

PRMommy86
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

DS stopped taking naps when he was 1.5 yrs. He did it on his own, he refuses to nap. But he still wakes up around 8am though [he's 4 now].

mcfaddenkids
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Sounds like a bedtime issue, my DSS used to be like that, just hard shutting down at the end of the day.  I used to give him chamomile tea before bed, about an hour, or they make a great Chamomile drops that my kids used to love, calmed their nerves, quieted them down.

valkins
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

My son stop taking naps once he turned 3, he'll be 4 in Nov, but he does sleep through the night finally and plus he goes to bed late, his father's doing not mine. I believe in putting kids to bed early 8pm, his father keeps him during the night while I'm at school, so he doesn't get to bed until around 9:30pm. Hopfully your child will outgrow it and start sleeping during the night. 

curlz333
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM
my 23 month old stopped taking naps like 4 months ago, not because he wanted more because he wouldnt go to bed @ bedtime & he would stay screaming like crazy non stop & welk i decided to take nap time away completely because it was such a hassle being away pass midnight when i also have a 9 month old to take care of through the night.... he sleeps through the whole night if he skips nap (when dad's home he lets him take naps)... personally for me its me alot easier without the naps, although now i have a litte ball of energy roaming all over the home the whole day... =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM

My kids are 4 and 18 months and the BOTH still go down for naps and have early bed time (7-8pm) and are up between 7-8am

Kids NEED the naps/quiet time to just relax their little bodies. DD(4) may not nap, but she has 1hr minimum of QUIET time to just unwind a little bit. If my kids dont get their own time then it makes for a BAAAD day at my house.

jojolicious220
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM

My 2 and a half year old doesnt take naps just for that reason. She doesnt sleep that good if she takes a nap.

Aydans_Mommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM
My son goes in streaks with naps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Yep. It was sooo hard getting DS to nap. It just wasn't worth it any more.

tuba_chick
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM

every child is different. Mine stopped napping around 1 1/2 because he wasn't sleeping at night. I messed around with nap time ( earlier in the day, shorter naps, longer ones etc). I found that he could get through the day with out a nap ( an average day) and go to bed at a reasonable time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)