• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training, HELP!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is 2 1/2 and we've been trying so hard to potty train her for a year now. I feel like I've read and tried everything, but nothing will work.

I know they say if its just not working, stop and try again in a month, so we've taken a few breaks, but she just does not understand. She tells me when she has to go potty, and she hates diapers, but she won't go in the potty, she will stand next to it and go, but only once in an entire year did she go in the potty.

There are some complications - 1: her dad and I share custody and he has her 2 nights a week... he is a pathological liar (will so much as lie to me about what she ate for lunch or other stupid non issues just because) so I really have no idea what is going on in his house for potty training. He tells me she's 100% potty trained there, and goes on her "princess potty chair" and he has one that goes on the reg toilet to make it smaller, but ive been in his house (watched our daughter and his other son a few times for him) and there is no potty chair and she had a pull up on and a full supply of pull ups...

2: I work full time and go to school full time, and she spends a lot of time in daycare or with a babysitter.. so we have 2 days a week when I'm home and one of them in Sunday when she's with her dad the whole day.. I don't get a lot of time to work with her on training.

I've tried treats for going on the potty, candy or stickers, and for a while she was scared of the potty so she got them just for trying, but started abusing that, and now isnt scared just refuses to pee or poop IN the potty just will do it next to it.

Help!! I am getting so discouraged and shes supposed to start school in about 7 mos and has to be potty trained before then!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM

What kind of potty do you have? Or are you just using the toilet? Maybe there's something different... a seat that goes onto your toilet, for example. Or maybe taking her to the store and letting her choose a potty chair (of course, you risk spending money for nothing if it doesn't work).

The inconsistency in her schedule is definitely a factor--I would be money on it! Do you have any vacay time coming up where you could spend a solid two weeks with her or anything?

Good luck!!

MOMOF2154
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Omg! I just made a post about this.My son is 3 1/2 and we have been working so hard on PT. He just will not tell us when he needs to go. I have tried everything and nothing has worked, I am going to start putting him on the potty when he wakes up and leaving him there all day until he starts to tell me !!! We can Potty training buddies !!!!

ilovexzavier
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Pm me your e-mail and i'll send u what worked for my son. He was trained in a week! He was 3.

MOMOF2154
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I also wanted to say that it is frusterating. I also have stopped a few times and then started back up simply b/c he wasnt getting it. I did find that the seat that goes onto the reg potty has helped  us alot with our son. He wanted nothing to do with the potty chair thing. Once we got the seat for the potty he wouldnt fight me to put him on it.

Have you tried just sitting her on the potty when she says she has to go. I mean like taking her straight in and putting her on it? I am sure you have and she probably holds it until she is off and then goes huh? My son did that for a while. We are just having trouble with him telling us he needs to go. When I take him and put him on the potty he will go just wont let us know. I knew training would be hard but I had no idea just how hard it would be.

JULIANS_MOM2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Dont force her to go in the potty let her use the actual toilet. make it a big deal when you buy panties.. take her to walmart and let her chose her own.. then let her pick you out some too. like some cute hanes or something that may look similar to hers you know in a pack or something. my daughter loved that idea and it wasnt hard after that.. but the whole potty thing they feel singled out some times and they just want to be like every one else.

JULIANS_MOM2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM

let your son pick out undies like daddies, make that a big deal and sprinkel some cheerio's or fruit loops in the toilet and tell him to sink them like its a game and he should start going with out a problem.. some times you just gotta make it fun .. outside of the potty chair. I use to work at a day care and i found this really works.. its  helped alot of parents

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Well, I just finally got this new job and start monday so no such luck with the  vacation time but her dad wouldnt go for that anyhow, hes such a butthead. :-/

Quoting RobynS:

What kind of potty do you have? Or are you just using the toilet? Maybe there's something different... a seat that goes onto your toilet, for example. Or maybe taking her to the store and letting her choose a potty chair (of course, you risk spending money for nothing if it doesn't work).

The inconsistency in her schedule is definitely a factor--I would be money on it! Do you have any vacay time coming up where you could spend a solid two weeks with her or anything?

Good luck!!

mami1206
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM
I got my son to go on the first try...hes 2 1/2...since then hes been using the potty...and hes gettin better at night,thank god
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annettenikole
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I used the book toilet train in less then a day! (it's an old book... but worked GREAT!)  You do need to have the time to do nothing but train for a day (and I had to do an additional half hour mini train the next morning) and you can't have anything else going on (so other kids not in the house) for it to work.  But I have heard there are 3 day methods that are similar, but less intensive and work with more going on or other kids around. 

The book I used has them completely potty independent... so she would do it all herself... which in theory would mean it doesn't matter what her dad does... she would tell him she needs to go potty and then go all by herself.  But that may set you back a bit... going back and forth on potty training can really make it harder... if your child doesn't want to pee on the potty they figure if they hold out long enough then you'll go back to diapers.  (oh, best way is get rid of all diapers/ pull ups... pullups make training take longer most of the time)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)