Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off Topic-- Who has rabbits as a pet?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do you like about them?  Not like about them?  Do you keep them inside or outside?  I am looking for a low maintenance pet for my kids.  I would like to keep them outside.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I don't have them now, but I had one when I was younger. I didn't like the fact that he used to hump all my stuffed animals! LOL! He was in a cage and then we would let him out for a few hours to hop around. We could not get him cage trained for the life of it, so we were always picking up poop pellets and wiping up pee. Can't give you advice on having them outside.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

My son's pre-school has one. The teacher didn't realize when she got it how big it would grow, so if you get one, find out if it is a type that will stay small or grow large (if that matters to you). She stays inside most of the time. She gets to run around the classroom sometimes (she likes to spill the crayons, markers, etc.) and the rest of the time she is in a cage, where she enjoys spilling her food and her litter.

calilove33
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

research breads some arnt so nice. My mom has a bunch of them. they use to be my sisters when she showed them for FFA lol and now there my moms pets lol. she loves them she has them in a cage but has these larger open cages for on the grass so every now and then she will let them out to run around.  you can also get a leash for them and walk them around your back yard. if your going to keep them out side be careful of the heat they can get too hot fast.

RachelAnne
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I had one when I was younger, they're cute and fluffy but they smell really bad, lol. We kept it inside but if I were to get one now I'd keep it outside mainly because of the smell, I wish my parents had kept mine outside because I kept feeding it and it got so fat it died of a heart attack :[

Barronbaby
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM
I have a white miniture rabbit it use to be indoors but recently we put it outside cuz inside it was a bit more upkeep since we had to clean her cage ever 2 days. Other than that my 4 year old loves her and lacy(bunny) is much happier outside. mmessage me if you have any questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiredbutHappy1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I have one..he's inside. I hate the fact that he keeps spraying outside of his cage. It stinks really bad when he sprays or when he pees. I'm constantly changing the wood chips in his  pan. I would suggest litter training. I'm going to try that and see if it stops the smell. It's horrible. Cleaning their ears and trimming their nails is very difficult. I have to take mine to the vet to get it done.

TiredbutHappy1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Oh, if you want one that is friendly..I suggest a lop earred. I had 3 and all of them LOVED to play. The one I have now..I'm not sure what breed it is..he won't play with anything, but loves to cuddle. I would talk it over with a vet. I wish I had before I got this one. I don't remember the other 3 smelling as bad when they peed as this one does...and they were all inside.

mrsr0125
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Me and my husband had 2 before we had kids. We LOVED them! But we researched alot and learned that rabbits are very social so they do better in groups, which is why we got the second one. We also had both spayed and neutered fairly quickly.

They shared one cage eventually b/c they loved each other. We let them hop around the apartment whenever we were home. We gave them "salads" every AM before work (lettuce, carrots, cilantro) and treats. They were mostly house trained. We researched how to do it and followed their lead. So we had like 2 litter boxes and they mostly went in there when they were out of their cage.

yes they were alot of work as far as vacumming since they shed constantly and we had to clean the cage at least 2x weekly if not more. (I am a clean freak so these things went on probably more than most people would have done them!) And when we went on vacation we left them with my mom so she could let them out daily to get exercise and so they wouldn't be alone. OH! We also had leashes for them so we could take them in the backyard.

But they are nocturnal so you will hear them alot every night if they are near any bedrooms!

yes, we were obsessive but they were our babies at the time and we were completely in love with them!

Michelle

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

We had dwarf bunnies when i was lttle.. We kept them outside in a cage.. Came home from school one day and Taz was ripped apart in the front yard! =( Insides everywhere... Some animal got in his cage.. Probably a dog or cat!  never had another after that one..

funnymom32
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh my goodness!!  That is sad.  Most people that I know who have them keep some kind of rope or bungee cord around the cage.  My neighbor's chicken was attacked by raccoons last year.  It was not a pretty sight. 

Quoting steffielou_who:

We had dwarf bunnies when i was lttle.. We kept them outside in a cage.. Came home from school one day and Taz was ripped apart in the front yard! =( Insides everywhere... Some animal got in his cage.. Probably a dog or cat!  never had another after that one..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)