Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is 3 1/2 and wants to be a baby!!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok, my daughter is 3 1/2, everytime I tell her she is a big girl and she has to drink from a cup or use the potty or anything that has to do with her being a "BIG GIRL" she says "no I'm a baby" then she'll start crawling around on the floor like a baby and start talking in "goo goo gaga" talk.  I'm a little concerned that there may be something behind this behavior.  Does anyone know why she may be doing this?

FYI: I have an 8yr old son and her, there are no other babies in the house.

Vanessa Dawn

My Home Business Pays

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kdance1
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I wouldn't worry too much.  My 4 yr old does this every once in a while.  I try to bring up something she really loves like dance class and tell her:  "That's too bad 'cause babies can't take dance class".  Otherwise I try to use the "big girl" ploy sparingly 'cause I think she is learning to manipulate it.   She is an absolute q-t though :)

bamababe1975
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM

It's pretty normal. Whenever mine did that, I did as Kdance1 and said, "Oh? Because babies can't get their nails painted," or something else like that which I knew they enjoyed.

valkins
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Your daughter and my son then need to start a club, he's also 3-1/2 years old and wants to be a baby and not a big boy. I don't think it's anything to worry about, just consider it a phase, I have. We also don't have any other small children at home, his oldest sib is 26 and the second oldest is 20, so I guess you can say he's just spoiled. 

annettenikole
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

yeah... no worries, it's normal... she just doesn't want to do something you are labeling as "big girl"  My DD does that... and actually she does like to pretend to be a baby every once in a while... the whole goo goo gaga, mommy rock her laying down for a minute.  But if it's because she doesn't want to do something then I point out what a baby would do... like can't play with little toys, if it's morning I say babies take naps in the morn, so you need to go to bed then... that usually gets her right away!

dellywelly
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM
When my son does that then his "big boy" toys r taken away. He snaps out of it right away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RolandsMom12
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry.  My son is currently doing the same sort of thing.  It's a phase that's SLOWLY going away.  He's been doing it for a few weeks.  He's 3.5 as well.

twinkle2304
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM

My DD will be three next week and is doing the exact same thing. She will pretend she cannot walk and say goo goo gaa gaa etc...I think it is just her realizing she is her own little person and it is her way of coping. I think it is pretty normal.

j.Brat
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I'd say she's a little weary of not being "the baby" anymore.  But like the others said nothing to worry about.  Try giving her some positive rewards for doing big girl things that only big girls would get. 

NikkosMommy820
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM

My SD started to do the same thing at 5....... I told her she is a big girl, but if she wanted to pretend she was a baby- We could play a game where she is, sometimes....but when the game is over she must act like a big girl. It worked.... & she actually grew out of it very fast afterwards.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM

She IS your baby!! lol

I wouldn't be concerned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)