Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The birds & bees ... ALREADY!?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM
  • 16 Replies

Last night DD ... only 3.5 ... asked me, "how did I get in your belly?" 

YIKES!!

We told her the truth along lines she'd understand.  She's really into flowers & gardening so we stayed along those lines.  

Has your child(ren) asked about the birds & bees yet?  How did you explain?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Some what. My son did ask a while ago, we told him that it takes a man and a women to do it. I don't remember what else we told him.

FrogSalad
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Oh yeah, we've gone through this (and continue to do so).  I try to be matter-of-fact but about 6 months ago when DS asked me how he got in my tummy, I told him daddy put him in there and he wanted to know, "How, mommy?  How?  Just tell me!"  So I told him:  with his penis.  And DS thought that was the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

Two days ago he asked me how he got out of my tummy.  The truth is he was cut out, but I did tell him that most babies come out through the mommy's vagina. 

Mortifying for me, but DS just accepted that explanation and went on his merry way.

NikkiPhoenix
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM

My oldest is obsessed with asking me baby questions this time around.  He know the fundamentals of everything, but not the details.

I blame Lily the bear.  He watched her giving birth live on their web cam and from then on told everyone he saw a bear poop out a baby!

Kim24kids
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I told them when a man & women are in love they have a baby! LOL

RobynS
by Robyn on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Hmmm... no mine haven't asked anything very specific yet. Thank goodness! There is a good book for explaining it though. I can't remember the name...

Jaye677
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM
This is what I've told my DD's. They have also asked where they come out, I had 3 c-sections, so I've showed them, they r always asking to see my scars. I have told them that not all babies come out like that, but they've never asked where else, so I'll put that one off till they ask. Lol

Quoting Kim24kids:

I told them when a man & women are in love they have a baby! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

If she asks again, I would ask her how she thought she got in there.  This is a nice way to show you what she is understanding. 

I only give my son information that is on his level of understanding.  He has not asked that exact question, but close.

I think it is important to educate but not overwhelm. I just say he is a part of mommy and daddy and he grew grew in my tummy.  I leave it as he can understand it.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM

We had to do this with my oldest son before he was 3 b/c I was pregnant with his brother. We told him in terms he could understand, but did not actually get into the act.

mommam58122
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM

stupid question: does someone want to tell me this birds and the bees story cause i have never heard it i was just always told dont have pre marital sex because its a sin and i learned how babies were made in sex in in school

bluebunbun
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

me either??

Quoting mommam58122:

stupid question: does someone want to tell me this birds and the bees story cause i have never heard it i was just always told dont have pre marital sex because its a sin and i learned how babies were made in sex in in school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)