Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 1/2 year old making me CRAZY!!!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

We recently had our second child, and my two year old is SO in love with him! That is great...and also a problem because she constantly wants to pick him up, touch him, kiss him, etc... She is a little too rough and makes him cry, and when we try and take him from her she tries to pull on him as if he's a doll. We've explained the "gentle" thing over and over again, and she understands...but since she's TWO, she tends to forget to apply the rule sometimes. I don't want to have to constantly say "no! No! NO!" but I obviously have to keep him safe as well. We've been trying to spend extra time with her and do fun things so she adjusts easier, but she is also throwing more tantrums and acting out for attention. Between the two issues, she's driving me insane. I just don't see how we can spend even MORE time with her since she has one of us with her nearly 24/7 paying attention to her. She's not deprived our love by any means. Advice? Will she just eventually grow out of this? Sometimes when she's being a brat and we are giving her this extra play time, I feel as though we're rewarding bad behavior...but at the same time, if we constantly have to put her in time out and tell her "no" because she's trying to keep our attention...she will come to resent the baby. Ugh!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
conniesue88
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I'm going through the same thing with my 2.5 year old. I hope he grows out of it soon. I feel like he's always in time out! Good Luck!!! Everyone tells me it's just the terrible two's and that they will grow out of it. I hope this happens soon for you and me! :)

ErinHill226
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM

At least my kid isn't an oddball! LOL. I guess she's just getting used to the new family dynamic...but sheesh! I'm glad she loves him though and she's taking it out on us instead of him, but this could get old real quick! And yes, I hope it happens for us both also!

annettenikole
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Perhaps for the being gentle and always wanting the baby you could go get her a special doll that is HER baby... and when she can't hold her brother suggest she takes care of her baby.  And constantly remind her the same rules for brother apply to the doll.  (This worked really well for my sister in law)

As for attention and negative behavior... make sure to give her attention and praise at times she is doing things well!  And when she has melt downs or bad behvior, give her as little attention as possible.  I found this is the key with my DDs tantrums!  I ask her to stop whatever is unwanted, give it a minute, then count to three (I pause about 30sec- 1min between numbers)  She knows at three it's time out... I do little to no talking during all this, don't argue, don't engage her... if she refuses to sit in time out, she goes to her room alone to calm down.  I don't give her any attention until she is calm and ready to follow directions.  That way she's not getting attention by being naughty... if I slip up and start talking alot about why this is not good or mommy doesn't like that type stuff, then she just gets worse and keeps going because she is getting attention for it.

I hope it all gets settled down soon! 

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Can you try to involve her in chores that focus on the baby: getting diapers and wipes, putting clothing in the hamper, watching during bath time, helping feed if that is approprite (if the baby is a bottle baby), pushing the stroller. I found this helpful with both my older boys (although my middle guy is still rough but that is just his way).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)