• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Selective Hearing?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

I swear my 4yr old has the worst case of selective hearing. It doesn't matter what she is doing, if I have to talk to her while she's doing it, she does not listen. We've had moments, my husband and I, where we've had to get onto her for something and she just looks at us and keeps on doing it. Does anyone else have this same problem?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Oh yes. My 3.5 y/o does this. But so does my 6.5 y/o. Sometimes I have to get right up in their faces to get them to "hear" me! It's totally frustrating.

carolinamom84
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

It is! I feel bad having to get onto her a second time but I ask if she hears me, she says yes, but 'doesn't know why' she ignored me. I want to pull my  hair out sometimes. My mom always said my daughter would be just like me. lol. 

busymom3910
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Selective hearing never goes away. I have a son who is almost 16 and he still has it, and my daughter that is almost 3 well she has just figured this one out. She'll look at you as you are telling her "Don't do that" and what does she do the very thing your telling her not to do. And I swear my husband has it also. He can look straight at me as I'm telling him something and a little while later I'll say something about it and he'll just go "you didn't say anything about that" could just slap him when this happens. I've come to the conclusion that it's never ending. Good luck with yours.

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/vhSMm5.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/gcGwm5.png

V.Dubbya
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

My 3 yo totally has selective hearing. I've tested it... DD, please pick up your doll... (nothing), DD, I need you to pick up your doll... (nothing), DD, would you like a fruit snack? - Yes, please!! I know she heard me the first time, she just didn't like my request. lol...
What's worse is my 18mth old when she's done listening will look dead at us with a blank stare, slowly raise her index fingers and plug her ears. I had to leave the room the first time she did b/c it was so hysterical.  Later, I had to confirm with my DH "did she really just tune us out by plugging her ears?" because it was so comical.

mom2ljh
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Yes, its called being a preschooler.  Its SOOOO annoying.

Kim24kids
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

LOL Yup all 4 of mine have it!!!

kcook55
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM

yes both the kids have it but idk cuz ds failed his last hearing test

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)