Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you believe some Mother's out there?!?!?-SORRY HAVE TO VENT-PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

I took my daughter to the mall today.  While playing in the play area, I was just sitting back watching the kids when I witnessed a little girl arguing with another little boy (both around the age of 4yrs) about a toy wheel on the side of the wall.  The mother of the little girl was sitting right next to the two arguing children telling them they need to share and take turns.  The mother then said to her daughter, "Just go play with something else.  It's obvious HE'S not going to share anyways."  By then, the little boy ran away crying to his own mother about the incodent.  After the boy left, I overheard the mother say to her daughter, "When something like that happens and you want to play with something, don't just stand there!  Push the kid down and out of the way!".  I WAS SHOCKED!  I did a double-take and almost asked her if I heard her right.  PUSH ANOTHER KID DOWN?!?!?  Why resort to such violence?  I was witnessing the creation of a BULLY right before my eyes!  A few minutes later, my daughter (4yrs old) walked up looking like she wanted to play with the toy.  I was just waiting for something to happen, but, by then the girl and her mother were getting ready to leave.

What do ya'll think about this situation?  Have you ever witnessed anything like this?!?  No, the situation had NOTHING to do with me, but, if it were you, would YOU have said anything after you overheard the Mother's advice to her child?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajtherad
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Excellent parenting.

(sarcasm)

I would've said something as long as my Husband was there..that way He could take Our Son out of earshot while I gave that bully-supporting parent a piece of my mind.

magenl
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:59 AM
No cuz I can't tell other people how to raise their kids but If DD woulda got into it with the other girl then I woulda def said something!
I don't see why people wanna raise their kids like that. I understand the "don't take crap from anybody" tactic but I don't think that applied in this situation.
She coulda just said let him play with it and leave it at that. It's common curtousy man!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
V.Dubbya
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM

That's just ridiculous. Teaching your child to stand up for themselves or even be go getters is totally different from teaching them to push other kids around. I'm pretty non confrontational so I don't know if I'd have said something but I would have really wanted to. And like you, I would have been ready for the take down had the girl come at my DD sideways after her mother's lecture. Then I would have said something to both her and her mom which neither would have appreciated (I'm non confrontational until provoked then I'm very Mama Bear).

BLNmomofNathan
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM

This reminds me of when I was at the mall. I was walking holding my 3 yr old son's hand. DH was pushing our daughter in a stroller. This lady and 3 of her kids squeezed in front of us...no problem just let it go...but then she had another kid who had fallen behind so was still behind us. She cried out to her mom because she couldn't get around and her mom said "come the "f" on." She tried but couldnt so the mom said "get up here now just "f-ing" push them." The kid then pushes past my 3 yr old almost knocking him down. At this point I was irritated because she was yelling at this kid and her others and swatting at the others the whole time this was going on. So I said "hey "b" get your ignorant kids under control and youre lucky he didnt get knocked down." She turned around and said "excuse me." I said "you heard me so shut up and manage your little heathens"(sp?). She dragged them all far FAR away from us....some people.

littlemissmj
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:13 AM

i don't know if I would have said something to the mom. I probably would have interrupted and said to her child, "No, we don't push or hit people. You don't want someone to push or hit you, so you don't do that to someone else".  And then gave the mother the serious stink eye. And if she said anything to me, I would have said, "Great. I'll tell my kid to give yours a serious smack-down at the ball pit" and left it at that. (My kid is only 2, so I'm only talking hypothetical here).

Angel8203
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM

I have said something along those lines to my daughter too.  But she is small and will let big kids push her out of the way.  What I said was more along the lines of "Honey if you want to go down the slide, you need to wait your turn and go down.  Don't let the other kids push you out of the way.  If you have, you can yell at them that it is your turn."  My daugther is very small for her age, and gets "picked" on a lot.  If I allow her to be passive about it, she will never learn to stand up for herself.

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Nice...what the heck? How do you teach that to a young child? And people wonder why there is so much violence in our world today! I would not have said anything, though. I don't do confrontation especially with people I don't know.

Mom.Since07
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:39 AM
ive told dd to push ppl out of her way before. but only because she was there first, the other kids were being rude, my dd was trying to be polite, and the just shoved her around like i rag doll. so i told her next time push them back [after asking them politely to move first]!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Knowing myself, I probably wouldn't have said anything.  Just because I'm not very confrontational.  If my son had been in the situation, I'd probably have just removed him and gone on to something else.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM

UGH! I don't think I would have said anything TO her, but if my son had been nearby, I would have said to him (loudly enough for the woman to hear), "I don't want YOU to ever push someone down to get a toy. We don't treat people that way--even if other people do."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)