Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ELBOW ROOM!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM
  • 15 Replies

How do you teach your kids about elbow room? I can't tell you how many times I've turned to do something and conked DS in the head with my elbow. Even when I'm at the computer, he squeezes in so close I can't type. I've talked to him about it a number of times, but he forgets. When do they start to understand the concept?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerijeanbean
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I don't know I have been trying to teach this to my 10 year old for, oh, I don't know, 10 years.  My biggest issue is the car.  My 17 month old sits in middle.  I put her in from my older sons side.  He will stand right behind me.  I have no where to go but back and I step on his and run into him all the time.  At least once I day I tell him not to stand behind me.  I got him in the face with my elbow the other day.  I am now at the point that he is 10 if he can't figure it out that is his problem.  One of these days I am going to really hurt him, the baby, or myself when I trip over him.  Maybe then he will get the point. 

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Oh no! That's what I was afraid of. C'mon, guys... PERSONAL SPACE!!! I wonder if boys are worse than girls. Anyone have opinions there?

Quoting kerijeanbean:

I don't know I have been trying to teach this to my 10 year old for, oh, I don't know, 10 years.  My biggest issue is the car.  My 17 month old sits in middle.  I put her in from my older sons side.  He will stand right behind me.  I have no where to go but back and I step on his and run into him all the time.  At least once I day I tell him not to stand behind me.  I got him in the face with my elbow the other day.  I am now at the point that he is 10 if he can't figure it out that is his problem.  One of these days I am going to really hurt him, the baby, or myself when I trip over him.  Maybe then he will get the point. 

Ezranight
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Oh, I hate that.  DS and DD are just at elbow height.  Every time I turn around I elbow one of them in the head...and they come RIGHT BACK.  Geez...move already, lol.  They are 4 and 5, so I don't know how to help.  I figured after the last time when DS ended up crying he'd back off...nope...elbowed him right in the forhead again this morning while I was making his breakfast...

n03z07l08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:10 PM

No clue honestly, my kids are always right under my feet, like little lap dogs lol. Yesterday I went to get up off the sidewalk and knocked my 3 yr old down with my butt, talk about embarrassing lmao.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I always feel so bad when my bony elbow hits DS's head! Of course, DD is always under my feet, but she's a toddler, so I don't expect her to understand yet. Sometimes I can actually here the sound of elbow on skull. OUCH!!!

4time-mom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I haven't had much problem with elbows vs heads...it's more like them being underfoot and me falling over them (or on them) because I don't know they're rightbehindme.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I have that problem sometimes, too. But I'm really super-conscious of where DD is, so I am often standing there like a statue, checking all around me before I move an inch. With DS, though--it's the head. His height is just perfect right now...

Quoting 4time-mom:

I haven't had much problem with elbows vs heads...it's more like them being underfoot and me falling over them (or on them) because I don't know they're rightbehindme.

FrogSalad
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Thanks, Robyn.  Now I've had this song in my head all morning:

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM

LOL! When I reminded DS about giving me elbow room the other day, he said, "Yeah, I know--because it's on School House Rock!"

Quoting FrogSalad:

Thanks, Robyn.  Now I've had this song in my head all morning:

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I'm not sure. My 6.5 y/o still gets in my way like this, though he is better than he used to be. I think they want to be close to us at all times!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)