Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serving Sizes?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you pay attention to the serving sizes listed on food packages?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:33 PM

When I was younger, I didn't. I wouldn't hesitate to eat half a package of Chips Ahoy cookies (mmm... I can almost smell them now!). And I had the metabolism for it, so it didn't seem to matter.

Now I know that it DOES matter. Not just because of weight, but because sugar lowers the immune system, and because, well, it's just not healthy, nutritious food!

So, I'm very conscious of serving sizes. Some things, such as Snackwell's devil's food cookies, have a serving size of ONE. Ack! I think that's just plain mean. Who can stop at one cookie???

LyTe684
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Yes, since I have to count carbs.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Things like chicken nuggets and fish sticks (again, not the healthiest things in the first place) often have a serving size of only 5 or 6. My husband will eat three times that amount!

ZnEMJW
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Nope. It just makes me mad when someone says that the serving size for chips are only 5 or so. LOL!

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM

That's why I like Pringles. The serving size is something like 17 chips! That seems like plenty of Pringles--and they have a new multi-grain version. They're yummy!

Quoting ZnEMJW:

Nope. It just makes me mad when someone says that the serving size for chips are only 5 or so. LOL!

lizzig
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:40 PM

depends.  for the kids I give them what I know they will generally eat.  For the most part, especially with meats that's less then the recommended serving size.  Fruits is generally always over (they are big fruit addicts) and veggies is usually a bit less.  As for me I try to stick to portion sizes since I'm trying to loose weight.

n03z07l08
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM

no I really dont. I need to start. I know for my kids they are eating the right serving sizes because they barely eat lol. But for me I LOVE food and today while looking at my sons birthday pictures I realized I look like a whale lol.

4time-mom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM

For myself, yes, I'm really really starting to - I really really need to lose weight and WW goes by serving size, lol! For my kids, not so much - they're healthy and at healthy (if not a little low) weights. DH is kind of on his own, lol.

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I do, actually. I think it's important. You would be surprised at how little is in a serving of something.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM

A can of soup, for instance, is usually 2 servings. Each serving can contain nearly 50% of your sodium for the entire day!! So, if you eat the entire can of soup, guess what? No more sodium for you. No chips, no salt on your fries...

Sodium is sneaky. It's in nearly everything!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)