Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

preschool or not at 3 years old

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
  • 56 Replies

My DD is 3 years old, she turned 3 in Feb. In my town where i live they have a preschool program that is only 2 days a week, for 3 hours each day. I signed her up to go with tears in my eyes cause i felt like i was making her grow up to fast. So the next day i pulled her reg. form. The reason that i wanted her to start preschool, was to get interaction with other kids. I also figured 2 days a week for 3 hours isnt alot for her. Im home all day everyday with them and i am going back and forth with this subject and was wondering what other opinions are of moms out there.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swaney06
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

mine both started in 3k and they love it..they've made so many friends and also their speak got so much better too when they were in school.. ours is 5 days a week 6 hours a day so the one your looking at isn't bad at all!

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Honestly, I think it's great for kids to get interaction with other children. You would be surprised how much they like the time with them, even if it's short. IMO, you need to ask yourself if you would like her to have this or wait. She's still young, but I really think kids at any age can benefit from it.

calilove33
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Im going to wait until my daughters 4. I dont feel the need. Its to each there own though. Im sure my daughter would love it but she also loves being at home. Im sure your daughters fine and loves it. 3 hours 2 days a week sounds perfect.

blueeyes143
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

ya she does love to be home. my SS mom put him 2 years of preschool and ended up failing 1st grade so it didnt really benefit him much i dont think. I just dont wanna 'push' her out the door to soon. although i know she would luv to go. im so torn.

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM
I would do the same. My son LOVES kids and all of is cousins are in daycare and he is an only child so he doesn't get to interact much with kids his own age. I would just take it for the social interaction and not really as to force them to be schooled. Your child could learn alot by playing with other children, I know my son needs a good lesson in sharing, Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

I put both of my kids into preschool, my younger one was very attached to his big sister, so he actually ended up going for two years, in pre-k with her, and then again this year when she was in kindergarten.

ajtherad
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

My Husband and I plan to put Our Son in preschool when He's 4. It's no one's decision but the parents' - just like EVERYTHING that concerns their child!

lwalker270
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I sent both my boys when they turned 3 and they loved it!  They went two days a week for 4 hours each day and then started going 3 mornings a week when they turned 4.  Not only did it give the boys interaction, but I became friends with some of the other preschool moms, so I got something out of it too!

toniojr1
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM
This is my first child and he will be starting head start this year cause he turns 3 in september. I think its good so they can interact with kids and learn a few things, I think they will have fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyToEthan
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

my son started going to preschool right after he turned 2.    he loves it.

i mainly put him in it for interaction with other kids since he's the only child.   this coming fall will make 2 years that he's been at this preschool and i have no intention of taking him out.   he's made several friends (i have too) and has learned alot.

his hours are tues, wed and thurs from 9am until 2pm.  

it's worth it in my opinion.

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)